How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Kelly Your Own Question
Kelly, Appliance Technician
Category: Appliance
Satisfied Customers: 22264
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
Type Your Appliance Question Here...
Kelly is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a GE GSC23KSW fridge. We developed a terrible taste in the water side of the dispe

Customer Question

I have a GE GSC23KSW fridge. We developed a terrible taste in the water side of the dispenser. I have replaced the cooling tank and bypassed the filter. The bad taste is somewhere between the connection at the bottom of the freezer and the control panel. How can I replace this line? Also what is the part number for the line and any other parts that could have developed mold. The smell is like old lettuce and I know it is somewhere between the dispenser and the line lock at the bottom of fridge.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.
Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.
Often times, since the filters clear almost 100% of the chlorine from the water, if the dispenser sits unused for an extended period (a couple weeks or more) algae is allowed to grow in the water lines that can create poor tasting water that is usually accompanied by "floaters" that look very unappealing. The water line is simply 1/4" and 5/16" plastic tubing, available from any hardware store, along with the couplings needed to replace them to the new tank lines. The GE part numbers of that tubing will cost tremendously more (around $30) compared to a couple dollars from the hardware store. The lines are accessed by removing the panel in the front, under the doors.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How do you remove the front?
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.
There are two small screws in the cutout areas along the top of the plastic grille.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes I already did that for the grill at the bottom when I replaced the other lines. How to I remove the control panel to access the other end of the water line that connects with the end off the longer line from the new water chiller I installed?
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.
You can only access that from under the refrigerator. It may be easier to access from the back, having a bit more room.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I've replaced all the lines except the one that goes up from the bottom of the corner of the freezer door into the control panel where the water comes out. In this last section is where we have algae. This can't be accessed from the back. I'm trying to understand how to access and replace this last section. I know how to disconnect at the bottom of freezer door but do not know how to get to the other end which is basically behind the control panel.
Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.
Oh, I am sorry, I misunderstood you. That one you simply disconnect it from the holder at the dispenser and it will pull out from the bottom through the lower door hinge. It is slid into a guide tube when the blow in insulation is installed. Sometimes, that insulation will make it impossible to remove the water line and the door must be replaced, but that does not happen very often.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have removed the front panel and the plastic casing around it. I can see the water spout but there is no access to get to the back side of the spout to disconnect the tubing. I watched a video about how to replace the ice flapper but can't find any way to get behind the spout. Any advice? The cost of the door is $525 and hardly seems worth it.

Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.
The water tube will just push out of the clip that holds it at the dispenser?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It is in a solid plastic piece and appears to be screwed in from the back side. I cut away a little of the plastic and can see some rust from the back of a screw.

Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.
That piece is foamed in place when the door is made, there is no way to remove it. There may be screws but once it is foamed in, it becomes part of the door. See the picture below.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am going to try to clean out the line using bleach and a turkey injection needle that is the exact size of the inside of the line. Hopefully this will work. Wish I could think of away to get the bleach in from the top part so that it would be easier.

Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.
Yeah, it is not an easy process, that is for certain!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I thank you for offering to answer my question but am not pleased with the answer nor did I feel like my answer was answered from the beginning and I had to "design" a way to bleach out my lines myself. Which is working great. Using a turkey injector that has an exact 1/4 inch cap. Flushes it out perfectly. I wish I had know that the line could not be replaced from the beginning so that I would have have spent the time taking all the control panel apart etc.

Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.
It can be replaced if you can get the line loose from the holder up top. They usually slip right out. I told you sometimes they get foamed in place and cannot be removed, but whatever. Have a nice evening.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes you did answer that it may not be replaceable. Sorry I was not intending to be rude. Just irritated with how many hours I have spent researching and trying to fix a problem that GE said would be cheaper to buy a new refrigerator. Just disappointing on such a new fridge.

Thanks for your help and I apologize if I came off rude. Just irritated with it. At least I know how to replace the control panel if it ever goes bad! Laughing

Expert:  Kelly replied 2 years ago.

Related Appliance Questions