Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Kenmore 72053 (known POS made by LG). I think either the main

Customer Question
board and/or compressor is bad...
Kenmore 72053 (known POS made by LG). I think either the main board and/or compressor is bad. Light on main board flashes 8 times and then pauses and flashes 8 times. Checked connections, appear to be ok. Fans are working. No cold air. Last night fan going constantly before bed blowing cold air. This a.m. food starting to freeze in the refrigerator. Do you know what the 8 flashes mean? Thanks!
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Appliance
4/16/2015
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 2 years ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
So to start, if everything in your refrigerator is starting to freeze, the issue is NOT a bad compressor. The error just means that the temperature isn't sensing properly in the refrigerator which you already know. That could be a bad sensor or a bad control board. If you remove everything in the refrigerator, you can remove the back white plastic vent panel which runs along the back center of the refrigerator. Behind here are you temperature sensors. I would replace the temperature sensor (thermistor) and if you still have issues, then I'd replace the main control board. Below is a link to the sensor so you can see what vent you're looking for inside the refrigerator. CLICK HERE for temperature sensor
It was starting to freeze, but this morning we took everything out, unplugged for an hour or so and plugged back in. No cold air at all since then. I saw another post where Jason knew the diagnostic code for the blinking light on the control board. Hoping that might give us an answer. In short this fridge has a civil action in process with another issue (ice build up in bottom freezer fan). Behind where the sensor is. The code on the fridge is ER CO....which is saying a communication error between board and display. That is why I wanted to try and figure out what the 8 flashes mean.
p.s. there is a sensor like the one you described above in the bottom freezer drawer. Is there another one in the fridge?
There is one inside the refrigerator as well. It may not have the plastic grill over it but the sensor will look the same and should be located behind that large air vent panel against the back wall in the freezer I believe.
I see the sensor. Not sure how to get to it, but sure I can figure out. If it is the sensors why I am getting ER CO message?What I am wanting to know was what the 8 flashes on the main control board mean. In other posts on this site as well as others, it appeared to be some sort of diagnostic tool. Don't want to go to all the trouble of changing sensors, if it is something else. Would the sensors cause it to not work at all when it was working before we unplugged it. Sorry for all the questions, just very frustrated with this fridge as are thousands of other people. Thanks!
P.S. The compressor is not vibrating or making any kind of noise/movement even when I stop the fan close to it. Will the compressor still come on if sensor(s) is bad?
You never said anything about getting an Er CO error code before. Forget the sensor. ER CO is a communication error between your main control board and display control board. That can cause any number of other issues and errors. You need to replace your main control board.
Sorry my bad on the ER CO. That is why I was asking about the 8 flashes on the board. I was expecting Jason to answer my question since his name popped up and he is the one that answered a previous question for someone else about the flashing light on an LG fridge very similar to mine. I appreciate your help, but I already figured out through spending hours researching that is was more than likely the board. What I am trying to confirm is the flashing light question.
That is a temperature error as I stated in the beginning. But as I just said, Er CO will cause any number of other issues so you can ignore all other issues until you fix the Er CO issue because they are likely caused by the bad board.
I understand and appreciate your help, however you are avoiding my flashing light question which was my only question to begin with. If you can't advise what the 8 flashes mean, then you haven't answered my question. Based on previous similar issues it appears to be some sort of diagnostic code. Too bad Jason can't explain to me.
What do you mean I'm avoiding it? I have told you what it means 2 times. It means the temperature isn't reading properly in the refrigerator. Jason is also my brother, he can't tell you anything a I haven't already told you.
If Jason is your brother...ask him is he remembers this: " This is instructions per LG. Uplug the unit for 1 minute, then plug back. Check to see if the light blinks 5 times, pause, 5 times....If so, replace that board. If the problem occurs again, then the compressor is faulty." This is the kind of answer I am looking for. I know this was a different situation, but it appears Jason was reading something that explained the blinking lights. I already know the temperature was not reading properly, but trying to figure out why. Yes, is sounds like the board, but hoping I could find out if 8 blinking lights confirmed that.
I have confirmed you need a new board, I don't know what else you can possibly be looking for. He is off currently running a service call for my company so I'm not sure why you think I am not capable of giving you the correct answer.
Not trying to be difficult. I never said you were not capable of giving me the correct answer. I was simply looking for an answer about the lights on the board. THAT'S ALL. I too thought it was the board even before I asked the question based on all the info I found on the internet. When I found the info Jason posted, I wanted to see if he knew what the 8 blinks were.. If those 8 blinks mean the board is bad then so be it...I will replace the board. Thanks for info. It's all good...
Ok well I wish you only the best. Please remember to rate my service before you leave and good luck!
Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with? If not, please remember to rate my service to complete our conversation.
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc