Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Friend Just got a used Hotpoint Model rgb745 range. Converted…

Friend Just got a used...
Friend Just got a used Hotpoint Model rgb745 range. Converted it to lp following the instructions with it. Oven flames come out from under the tray, and are very yellow. If we flip the regulator insert to the Nat. gas position, the flames are about 2 inches and totally yellow. Cleaned the burn tube so no cobwebs in it. Also put the regulator insert back to the LP position. Still has large flame, and get burnt lp odorant smell. The instructions tell you to turn the oven orifice down 2 1/2 turns down for lp use. What may be the problem. Note: the Broiler burner seams to be working better (no yellow) but has long blue flames (4 inches).
11/27/2014
Chas
Chas, Home Appliance Technician

Hello from our service,

My name is Chas, I am so happy to help you today.

I would like to say that we are also on the honors system. I in good faith am going to do my utmost to ensure your satisfaction. Please before rating me, make sure that I have answered all your questions.

Turn down the oven orfices until they bottom out, but do not over tighten them, the 2 1/2 turns is a just a starting point... Let me know what happens

Tried turning the oriface and no change. Did this with the regulator insert in both positions. The only change we got is with the regulator insert in what looks to be the LP position, the flames are bigger, but still have too much yellow on the tips. Either way the flames come out from under the bottom tray of the oven. It seems the regulator lets too much gas through in the LP position as it pushes the spring down more, and you can hear the gas flowing through the system. The gas valve is controlled by the circuitry for the controls. There are no dials for the oven for on/off or temperature. BTW. I have a background in LP appliances for RV's, and Nat. gas for boilers, and furnaces.
Okay, was the orfice able to be tightened any more even though there was no change in performance?
No to that. It was at the very bottom. It's a strange system. The oriface has the same size hole fo Nat. gas and LP. Under it is a + shaped, pointed projection that I think goes into the hole to restrict the size down to the LP oriface size when you turn it down. I think I need to dig out my old manometer to check the gas pressure at the oriface just to make sure it's correct.
Sounds like a winner...

All I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. Bonuses are welcome if I have helped you a lot, however they are not mandatory

Chas
Chas, Home Appliance Technician