How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tyler Z. Your Own Question
Tyler Z.
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Category: Appliance
Satisfied Customers: 80332
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Type Your Appliance Question Here...
Tyler Z. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, my Elite fridge also has water under it, but it appears

This answer was rated:

Hi, my Elite fridge also has water under it, but it appears to be more of a condensation issue than leaking water. I vacuumed out the pan but water still appeared. after watching for a couple minutes, I'm seeing...snow. no, really it looks like when you exhale in cold weather and the water is simply forming on the floor under the pan. ???
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Can you clarify exactly where you're seeing this frost build up? Is it under the refrigerator back by the compressor? Is it inside the freezer? Where is the water collecting exactly?

Also, do you have a model number so that I can better assist you? It should be located on a sticker near the ceiling of the refrigerator and can be seen if you open the door.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Tyler, model number is XXXXX french door Kenmore Elite. The water (condensation) is forming in the back of the fridge under where the water connection is...right at the back wheel.

ok perfect. And where are you see the frost exactly? Is it on one of the copper tubings coming from the compressor?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

it's not really frost, but condensing air under the fridge. the water is literally forming from this mist that's coming off the bottom of the pan. the pan is presently empty of water.

So there should be a drain hose that looks like the one in the link below.

CLICK HERE for drain hose

Make sure that the black rubber flap is on the end of the drain hose to prevent air from going up into the freezer as well as cold air from coming out the hose. If it doesn't appear to be working properly then just replace the drain hose. If that checks good, then really the only thing that can cause the problem would be the pan itself if water is dripping from the bottom of the pan because it has a crack in it or something like that.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK, flap is present and in good condition but end of hose was clogged. cleared clog and watching to see if condensation build up continues.

Alright, well hopefully that fixes the problem.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hate to say, but droplets still forming under the fridge. I'd almost call it spitting, as if water is hitting the fan (just above the pan) and is being sprayed around by the blades. hope that makes sense...

So wait, I don't think what you are saying is coming through clearly. Are you saying that water is forming INSIDE the refrigerator? INSIDE the freezer? OR back by the compressor?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

sorry for the confusion. the puddles are forming on the floor, under the fridge back by the rear wheel on the left side as you look at the front of the fridge. I see no obvious dripping, just the "spitting" which builds into a puddle. there is the drain tube you pointed me to as well as a small fan that is running, which may actually be spraying the water...but where the water is coming from I'm not sure. the puddles that form are very cold.

OK then the only thing that will create a fine mist is either the electronic water valve, or one of the plastic water lines can develope a small pin hole causing it to spray a mist. The water is coming from either the valve or the water line so you're going to need to track it down. In the mean time to stop the leaking, you can shut the water off to the refrigerator at your house and that will stop the leaking. If the valve is leaking, the valve will need to be replaced.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i take it the valve is where the water supply line connects? the supply line is braided stainless, so i doubt any pinholes have formed there, but there is a small line coming off the back of the valve...could that be an issue as well?

The valve is the part where the water supply line connects yes. The braided stainless line wouldn't cause the leak, but the other line coming out of the valve could. The more likely culprit is the valve itself however. Sometimes a tiny spray comes out right where the solenoid connects to the valve body.

Tyler Z. and other Appliance Specialists are ready to help you