Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Hi, I did the same test as above as the machine stopped spinning

too and I have lights...
Hi, I did the same test as above as the machine stopped spinning too and I have lights 1 and 5 lit up. Any ideas what the problem may be?
11/16/2013
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

This error is a "motor stall error". Open the lid and lit the inner basket up and down and spin the basket to make sure there aren't clothes stuck between the basket and the tub. If something is jammed in between, you'd need to remove the inner basket and remove whatever is jammed between the basket and tub. Other than that, you're looking at a bad RPS sensor or a bad motor. You'll need to tip the washer backwards, remove the large center locking nut on the bottom of the tub holding the magnetic rotor casing in place. Then pull the casing off the motor to expose the motor. There are 3 wires that go to the motor and a few wires that go to the little plastic RPS sensor. You can't test the sensor but if you select any 2 wires that power the motor, you can check resistance between those 2 terminals on the motor and you should get roughly 32 ohms no matter which combination you try (there are a total of 3 combinations between the 3 wires). If you don't get 32 ohms, and one of the combinations, you'd need to replace the motor. If they all check good, that small plastic RPS sensor (about 3" x 3") will need to be ordered and replaced to fix the issue.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

I'll try that, thank you.

Not a problem and I'm glad I could help.

Did you get my last message?
I did not, were you trying to reply? If so, what did you say?
I was saying it looks really complicated to me...
There doesn't seem to be anything jammed, although I do not know how to take the basket off to check. The basket spins freely when I do it by hand.
Is there anything I can do to fix the issue or does it need a new part anyway?
If one of your suggestions, any idea on cost involved?
Let me know,
Thanks
Emma
If the basket spins freely by hand, then there is nothing jammed. Unfortunately that means you would need a new part whether it's a new stator motor or a new RPS sensor. The cost of replacing an RPS sensor is about $200 to have a technician come out and replace the part. The cost of replacing the motor would be about $400 with parts, trip and labor since the part is quite expensive I'm afraid to say.

Oh wow... Not good news. It is something that someone more handy than me could do? Or will we need a technician for that?
You would need a technician for this I'm afraid. Or at least someone that knows how to use a multimeter and can take the washer apart to test the motor to see if the motor is bad or not.

Not good to hear but thank you for your help.
Sorry to ask but are you 100% sure? Because we might as well look at getting a new one if it is going to cost that much.
If so, can you recommend a good but not too expensive washer?
Aye, I'm very sure if the basket can turn, then you have a bad rotor or RPS sensor.

As for a new washer, I find that for the last 2 or 3 years the best thing to do is to stay away from Whirlpool, Maytag, and Kenmore units. I would probably look at Fisher and Paykel (although somewhat expensive) or Frigidaire top load washers if you're looking for reliable units.

Thank you for your help!
Not a problem and I'm sorry about the bad news today.
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc