Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Hi I have a Maytag Epic Z washer, the smell coming from it

Hi I have a Maytag Epic Z washer, the smell coming from it is horrible. To the point where clean laundry comes out smelling bad. Have tired everything but cleaning the drain. I am trying to do this but can't get the cover off. I have a pic if you can tell me how to send it to you
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So this is a very common problem with these new front load washers. There are a couple things you want to do, but to start there is a drain catch inside the washer that you will want to access and clean if you're getting this drain error.  To access the drain catch, tip the machine backwards and lean it against the wall at a 45 degree angle or so.  Remove the 3 screws along the bottom of the lower front panel.  The lower front panel will then pull down and off.  There is a 3" diameter plastic twist cap directly under the tub mounted to the floor.  This is your drain cap.  Unscrew the cap and clear any debris inside the drain catch.  Be careful when you unscrew the cap because some water will come out even though the unit is tipped backwards.  Also, make sure to have lots of towels ready or a wet vac if you happen to have one.

Now once you unscrew the cap and clean out the drain, you need to clean out everything inside that you can and remove any debris if you find any. In addition to that, put the drain cap back on and run an empty cycle with a product called Affresh which is sold at Wal-Mart, Sears, or most hardware stores such as Lowes and Home Depot. This product is designed to clean out all the build up as well as mildew inside the washer and should be ran once a month to prevent the washer from building up a strong odor.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you, XXXXX XXXXX really gross! But now I know what to do. Smile

No problem and I'm glad I could help!