Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I have a Kenmore fridge with Auto Defrost & a water line &

ice maker. When the...
I have a Kenmore fridge with Auto Defrost & a water line & ice maker. When the ice container fills up, it's supposed to turn off the ice maker. But it doesn't. Instead it freezes up the water line causing the auto defrost function to turn on. How do I turn off the auto defrost & reset the freezer before I lose all my frozen food?
11/14/2013
Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service.

The water fill tube behind the ice maker is clogged with ice, is that correct?

Can you hear the refrigerator operating?

Thanks,
Barry

No, it is not clogged with ice. I have turned it off, but the auto defrost function is working. This has happened several times before & I have managed to prevent it by keeping the icemaker off until I need it to make ice. When it is left on, this is what happens. The fridge is running & the Auto Defrost is making that horrible "I'm defrosting your freezer" noise.

I see I got confused, when I read the first line. Give me just a few minutes to look at the diagrams Arlene, I am sorry about the confusion.

Barry

I'm only assuming that the water line is frozen somewhere, otherwise it would not make sense that the fridge 'thinks' that it needs to defrost. Correct?

I understand, thanks, XXXXX XXXXX both controls all the way counter clockwise and then all the way clockwise. Did it come on?

Barry

Yes, it shut down when I turned it all the way counter-clockwise & left it for a couple of seconds. Then when I turned the controls clockwise, it came back on. But the "I'm still defrosting your freezer" noise is still happening. It comes & goes every minute or so.

Are you hearing a buzz from the rear of the refrigerator every few minutes?

Barry

Yes, that's the sound.

Got it, give me a few minutes again.

Thanks,
Barry
You will need to go around behind the refrigerator. Unplug it and remove the lower cover at the bottom. The compressor has a part attached to it with wires, that part has failed.

On the compressor pictured below the parts are mounted where the red arrow is pointing in the picture. Yours may be mounted on the other side of the compressor. Remove the wire retainer and then the parts. The parts pull straight off, they fit tightly but they will pull off. Change the parts and wire it and plug it in. Thats all there are no special instructions. I have that part linked below for one website. They have a 365 day no questions asked return policy. That is a really good warranty for an appliance part.

www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Start-Device/5304468029/1467292?replacedManufacturerPartNumber=218721119?RCAID=1000064

That will take care of it. If you have questions about my answer please click the "Reply To Link" . I will be happy to explain anything that is not clear.

Please do not forget to leave a rating.. If you have a problem using the rating screen please let me know.

Thanks,
Barry
CLICK TO ENLARGE

graphic

What does the part do? Why do you think it will solve my problem? I've had this fridge for 7 years &, in my experience, once the freezer has defrosted, it will operate without a problem until the next time the Icemaker is left on too long & fills up.

The ice maker is not connected to the cooling. The only thing I have seen an ice maker do is leak water into the coils and fan in the freezer and that will stop the cooling. You have the ice maker turned off now and the buzzing continues?

Barry

Yes, I've turned the icemaker off (last night) & I've turned the freezer off & unplugged the fridge, but when I plug it back in & turn it back on, the buzzing continues. I really just want to know if there's a way to reset the auto defrost. Or do I have to let it run it's course & completely defrost. This always happens at the most inconvenient times (I hate this fridge). But given that I can not afford to replace it, I thought I could maybe get another solution to this dilema. So, again, what does that part control & why would replacing it solve my problem?

There are only 2 parts at the rear that will buzz, the water inlet valve which is deactivated because the ice maker is off, so its not that part. That only leaves the part I mentioned and that part operates the compressor which circulates the coolant. Also you said you hear it running, no refrigerator runs in the defrost cycle. All shut completely down during the defrost cycle. That part is not starting the compressor because it has failed so everything is defrosting. All that is operating are the fans with no coolant circulating.

To reset the defrost board you need to unplug the refrigerator and then plug it back in but promise this is not the problem.

Thanks,
Barry

So, since I've already unplugged the refrigerator & replugged it, the defrost board should have reset. On the other hand, if the coolant is not circulating, then my fridge would not be cold & my freezer would not freeze. Is that correct? But I've had this problem ongoing for years & until I forget to turn the icemaker off, it seems to work fine. Curious? So part of the solution, I suppose, is to cease using the icemaker feature. Is it possible for that part to run intermittantly? And only after the icemaker fills up the ice tub? What if the replacement of the part does not solve the problem? What should be my next steps?

Yes it should have reset and if you hear anything operating its not in the defrost cycle.

The ice maker is not even remotely tied to the compressor, its on a circuit all by itself. Seperate everything. The only thing the ice maker could possibly do to stop a refrigerator from cooling is to dump water down inside the freezer wall and stop the circulation fan in the freezer. I agree it is strange, I have a wiring diagram and I knew it wasn't on the same circuit but I looked to be sure.

If that part does not repair your refrigerator you next step will be call a tech. The compressor will have failed or the capillary tube is clogged and in both cases you have to be licensed to make that repair in the US and I am sure Canada has a similar law, you may want to double check if you end up doing that, I am pretty sure I am correct about that.

Thanks,
Barry
Arlene is there anything else I can do to improve my rating Arlene?

Thanks,
Barry

Your website does not always alert me when you have made a respone, so I did not see that you had answered me. However, I still would like to know why I've had this problem for years & it is sporadic & seems to happen based on the icemaker. Is it possible that this part is 'failing' but works most of the time?

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX sorry that is happening. Yes that is very possible it could have been defective all along. All of the wiring for the ice maker is totally seperate, it really is strange. I would change that part on the compressor because it really should not be doing that. Even if I was there that would be the first thing I did, the only reason that should happen is if its defective. I do not believe you have a compressor problem because you have managed to get it to cool and that tells me its not there. The buzzing is an overload and when they are weak or defective, when they start buzzing it happens about every 5 minutes and lasts about 2 or 3 seconds.

Thanks,
Barry

It seems that one of my reply's was misssed completely. I will have someone come in & change that part, since I don't think I can do it myself. Thanks for your time.

You are very welcome, thank you for the opportunity.

Barry
Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Barry G.
Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician