Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I turned on one of the Hotpoint stove burners. There was a

I turned on one of...
I turned on one of the Hotpoint stove burners. There was a big spark and a pop and the entire stove is not working. I checked the fuse box and none of the breakers had gone off. Did it short out? What should I do? Is this a fire hazard?
11/11/2013
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

The oven shouldn't have shorted out, but everything should be contained and safe and there should be no fire hazard. These ovens are designed to handle things of this nature in case something does short out. Now if ALL the burners were affect, chances are something is going on with your power cord or junction where the power cord connects to the back of the stove. Pull the oven out and remove the screws going into the access panel where the power cord connects to the oven. Check for any burnt or broken wires and if you see something burnt, repair the wiring or replace the power cord and junction block.

Other than that, you'd need a multimeter to test if you problem is with the house getting power to the stove, or the stove itself. You'll need to test power between the red and black wire at the junction block and you should have 240 volts letting you know that the stove is getting power from your house.

Nothing on the stove worked. Not the oven, the digital clock or any of the burners. I've pulled it away from the wall and unplugged it. The plug looks like my dryer plug -- to a 240 line?

Now that it is unplugged, is there a fire hazard?

If the stove shorted out, would the short go all the way back to the house?

Is it safe to leave it unplugged and wait until I can get an electrician?

Thanks!

It is not a fire hazard at all with the unit unplugged. You can definitely leave the oven unplugged and wait for someone to come look at the unit, but you'll likely need an appliance technician and not an electrician to be honest. It's unlikely that your house wiring has any damage and more likely that the power cord or junction block on the back of the oven is what shorted out.

This is very helpful. Can you tell me why a breaker didn't trip?

It won't always trip if something else cuts power before the breaker reacts, like one of the wires shorting out or something like that.

Thank you very much. I will try to find an appliance technician in the morning. You were very helpful!

Not a problem and good luck to you! Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc