Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

my Estate brand fridge is leaking water out of the icemake

r....
my Estate brand fridge is leaking water out of the icemake r.
11/9/2013
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So to be clear, does it look like the icemaker is overfilling? Or what exactly are you seeing in the form of leaking inside the fridge?

That's a good way to put it...like its overfilling. Its just dripping in one spot about 2/3 of the way towards the back of the icemaker. I'll include a picture so you can see it (kind of....)

OK perfect, but it looks like it's dripping over top of the white ice glide clorrect? Is the ice mold really full so when it dumps ice all the cubes are still connected together?

I'm not sure. We just bought this (used) today. I don't have the container that it dumps ice into in the fridge anymore because my wife noticed it was leaking. Should I put it back in and see what happens?

Here is what I would do. Turn the icemaker off by lifting the arm and then wait 24 hours or so and see if it keeps leaking. If so, your electronic water valve isn't sealing up and the valve on the back of the refrigerator needs to be replaced.

Now if turning the icemaker off does stop the leaking, you'll want to pop the front white plastic cover off the icemaker to expose the head of the icemaker. There is a tiny white plastic screw coming in from the side of the icemaker. Turn the screw 3 complete turns clockwise and see if that stops the icemaker from leaking. If after 24 hours it keeps leaking, turn the screw 3 complete turns counter-clockwise. And if it continues to leak, replace the icemaker.

thanks for the advice...one more thing though...i reached my finger into the spots where the ice is supposed to be forming and the first cavity for the first piece of ice is basically empty (I'm assuming because the water has all leaked out).

I did notice though that the arm that I thought was to push the ice up and out of the ice maker hasnt rotated...

If that's the case then most likely by doing the test you would determine that the icemaker has failed. If one of the compartments is empty, it's not overfilling so that really only leaves the icemaker and the icemaker would need to be replaced to fix that issue. You'd need to order part number(NNN) NNN-NNNNfor the icemaker.

if the icemaker is bad, would it cause the water to overflow over the top like it is?

am i able to still use the water feature and turn off the icemaker?

yes, because the water gets under the teflon coating of the icemaker mold and it actually acts like a a wick and pulls the water up and out.

Yes, you can turn the icemaker off by lifting the arm and still use the water dispenser without incident.

where do i order an icemaker and any idea how much it costs? also, is it easy to put in?

It's definitely easy to put in. You don't need to unplug the refrigerator or turn the water off. Just remove the 2 screws above the icemaker going into the left side wall and if there is 1 screw below the icemaker toward the front, remove that screw as well. Then pull the icemaker out and unplug the wire connection to remove the old icemaker. The part is only about $42 in the link below.

http://www.filtersfast.com/P-Whirlpool-4317943-Ice-Maker-Replacement-Kit-RIM943.asp?gclid=CKrZ54Xf1roCFeJDMgodAS4A8Q

the part you gave me is for a whirlpool icemaker...is it interchangable with the Estate brand?

Yes, Whirlpool makes Estate actually.
Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

szd23vw

one more question...

my last fridge that just went out today has an icemaker...its an amana...model number svd23vw..any chance that icemaker would work?

That icemaker for the Amana is also made by Whirlpool so most likely it will work, it all depends on if the wire plug is the same for both icemakers. If so, then it will mount up and be a direct replacement.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc