Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

front load washer is locked I have tried restarting unplug

gin...
front load washer is locked I have tried restarting unplug gin
10/30/2013
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

You wouldn't happen to have a model number for your washer would you? If not, can you tell me how old it is? What brand the washer is? Does the front say something like HE3 or Duet or Affinity or anything?

It is a maytag epic front load and f-28 shows up as problem. I believe it is an 08.

OK perfect. So F28 is quite a bad error code. It means that your main central control board (CCU) and the motor control board (MCU) are not communicating with one another properly. The motor control board is located under the tub mounted to the floor of the washer. The CCU is mounted under the top panel of the washer and is the part with about 100 wires going into it. You'll want to remove the top panel and the lower front panel to check the wire connections and make sure they are all secure. If everything looks good, then you just have to somewhat guess which control board you want to replace first, either the MCU or the CCU. The problem is that there is no way to test and determine which part is faulty so it's just a guessing game. That's what makes this one of the worst errors to get.

But before you do all that, lets unplug the washer and unlock the washer to see if the error will reset. If your door happens to be locked (this happens sometimes with this error), remove the 3 screws along the bottom of the lower front panel. The panel will then pull straight down and off. Once you remove this panel you can reach up behind the upper front panel and pull down on the small plastic pull tab attached to the bottom of the door lock assembly. This will manually unlock the door so you can open the door.

Now plug the washer back in and see if it works. If so then great. If not or the error comes back later, then I'd start by replacing the CCU.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc