Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

after 2 power outages in 3 days, each time our Model GSS23QSWSS

purchased in 07/2007, each time...
after 2 power outages in 3 days, each time our Model GSS23QSWSS purchased in 07/2007, each time the lights come on, but the compressor does not. Last time after 24 hours, i pushed a button on the front, and magically it turned on. I have unplugged it for over an hour, plugged it back in, and still the front keyboard does nothing. Is there a reset protocol I am missing? It does not seem like this should be happening.
10/27/2013
Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service.

There are fans also, can you hear those operating or is the refrigerator completely silent?

Are the digits lit up and show normal digits at the control?

Thanks,
Barry

no sounds, lights work inside, and no control digits on display

Thanks Tom, give me a few minutes to look at the wiring diagram for your model.

Barry
Tom I cannot see on the parts diagram nor the wiring diagram what direction your wires run from the freezer door. Its very likely that they run down below the doors and behind the kick panel. I think the connector down there has corroded.

Unplug the unit. Remove the kickplate in the front under the doors. I believe your model has screws at the ends of that panel. There should be a connector under there coming from the freezer door. Take a wire brush an old toothbrush or something and clean that connector up really good. Put it together and give it a try. If that works please leave a rating for me.

If that did not work let me know by using the reply to link so we may continue.
Barry
CLICK TO ENLARGE

graphic

Wire brushed the connector, and used CRC contact cleaner, and no results on the compressor, or the display board

Tom do you have something to test for 12vdc?

Barry

NO

What about the light for the dispenser when you press for ice or water does that light up?

Barry

no

Then there is no voltage coming from the main board to the dispenser. The wire connector you just cleaned comes straight from that board to that light. It does not go through the dispenser board.

Replace the main control board. To replace that unplug the refrigerator and remove the 8 x 10 panel on the back. Remove the connectors and replace the board. Put the connectors back they will only fit where they belong. Follow the instruction sheet that comes with the part. Plug the refrigerator in and turn it on. If it does not turn on right away, wait 40 minutes, it will be in the defrost cycle and will start. I have the part linked below for you with a year warranty. That price is high so if you would like to shop around the part number is XXXXX

www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Main-Control-Board/WR55X10942/1531075?RCAID=1000064

If you any questions please let me know or ask me. If not please leave a rating.

Barry

CLICK TO ENLARGE
graphic

graphic

We are just going to have to call a service man. I know GE had a recall on some boards in 2005, and there is a link on Amazon for that one.

Thanks for your help, but I have to start emptying the refrigerator.

Yes there are links all over the internet for that part. I linked the only one that has a year warranty and will let you return the part with no questions asked. I understand, you have a nice Sunday Tom. Thanks for the opportunity.

Barry
Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Barry G.
Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician