Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I have a Maytag mfd2562VEM (french door , bottom freezer) The

I have a Maytag mfd2562VEM...
I have a Maytag mfd2562VEM (french door , bottom freezer)
The problem we are currently having with it is that the bottom evaporator coil gets frozen up solid, stopping cold air from going to the refrigerator section above.

We are not sure which part has the problem (we're sure it's not a clogged drain)

I am thinking it could be a fan, the defroster element if any, or whatever controls them in this thing, which if i recall correctly is a circuit board with a chip on it. I am curious as to what this part does: part number W10205552

A list of possible causes and solutions would be great, thanks
10/27/2013
Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service.

W10205552 is the main control board for the refrigerator. Do you have an ohm meter to test with?

Thanks,
Barry

yes, we just opened it up, tested the heater, continuity is 26 Ω

the fans both run fine.

the refrigeration system works fine, its just that the evaporator below freezes into a solid block, stopping airflow to the upper section; we've put up with thawing it manually with a hairdryer for too long.

I wonder how do we test that damper if it is functional? damper part# XXXXX

I am looking at either that damper, the controller board for it, or the thermistor? thermocouple? sending temperature/current to the board being faulty.

I am sorry I have been trying to post for a while. The site stopped working.

At the top of those evaporator coils is a thermostat for the heater, its a disk shaped kind of part with 2 wires coming outo of it. It should clip right to the aluminum of the evaporator. That part must be cold to test. Once you have it cold disconnect the connector from it and ohm that part as well. Do you get a near zero ohm reading as if you touched the probes together.

The heater is good, that is a fine reading.

Thanks,
Barry

Is it this cylinder clipped on the copper in below image?
http://puu.sh/50yLN.PNG

http://puu.sh/50yQe.PNG

Also, is this the only circuit board in this fridge (aside from the digital control panel)
http://puu.sh/50yKI.PNG

I have arrowed the thermostat for you in the image below. That part needs to be frosty cold. If you get continuity cold that part is good, the board you mentioned earlier will be the bad defrost part. W10205552

If you do not get continuity when cold the thermostat arrowed in the image is the bad part. What is happening is your freezer is not defrosting like it should, that is causing the frost buildup in the coils of the freezer and that is as you said blocking the airflow to the fresh food section.

There are 3 parts, that thermostat, the heater which tested good and that main board. You test the 2 parts in the freezer to either include or eliminate the board as the bad part.

The sensor is for temperature. If its frosting the coils the sensor is good.

If you have any questions please ask me, if not please leave a rating.

Thanks
Barry
CLICK TO ENLARGE
graphic

i'm not sure if this board W10205552 and this board http://puu.sh/50yKI.PNG are the same or perform the same function; just checking if the board in the image is the one you mentioned.

I will double check it for you, give me just a few minutes.

Barry
Yes that is it. You are probably going to get the updated part number W10317076 in place of W10205552. The manufacturer changes the number when there is an update but its the same part and they both will work in your unit fine.

The heater your not going to need but for the future it's part number 12729129.

The thermostat is not shown so its not listed as a part for sale. What you can do is go to an appliance parts store, tell them you need a generic defrost thermostat and that will work just fine.

Please ask if you have any questions.
Thanks,
Barry

I just measured resistance on that thermostat that you pointed out in the image at frosted cold, and it's in the megaohms range. Does that mean this part is bad? (also, can i have the part number for it if possible, thanks)

Also, sadly i took a look at the part and the terminal connections on the board do not match.
http://www.appliancepartspros.com/whirlpool-cntrl-elec-w10317076-ap4560750.html
i am using this for part reference
http://www.manualslib.com/manual/100236/Maytag-Mfd2562vem3.html?page=12
but this is a Mfd2562vem0 which is stated to be a 'discontinued' model - nearly identical parts so it did help a lot.

Yes it's bad. Maytag did not make that part number available. What you will need t.o do just get a generic part from an appliance parts store. Then you can use your old connections to splice the new part in. there is no polarity its simply 1 wire in and one wire out it doesn't matter which one goes where.

thanks Barry
Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Barry G.
Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician