Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

My Whirlpool Cabrio washer, W10280477B, will not start and

the lid lock light is...
My Whirlpool Cabrio washer, W10280477B, will not start and the lid lock light is flashing. The lid locks, but the lid lock light starts flashing and nothing happens. Any ideas?
10/26/2013
Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Hello my name isXXXXX will be assisting you with this problem today. Thanks for trusting us to help you with this appliance question.

Hi the lid lock light flashing is telling you there is a problem with the lid lock, this is why the machine will not start. If you could give me the full model number from the sticker under the lid I can look up the part number and go about telling you how to replace the lock. :)

I would like to earn your highest rating, If I provide you with a answer this just means with the symptoms you have supplied me I am letting you know from experience where the problem is, this does not mean however that we have finished, If you have any additional questions please reply.

If I have answered your questions to your satisfaction please feel free to come back at any time after rating me "Excellent service" for additional questions you may have at no further charge :)

Sometimes I will have to give bad news, Please try to find it in yourself to rate me for the service not the bad news.

If you would like to request me personally for future appliance questions click here HERE and bookmark this page.

Thanks!

Mike.

Model Number on sticker under lid is WTW5500XWO

Ok thanks John, can you give me a minute to look that one up please.

Thanks - A little advice on how to replace the part would be helpful, also.

Thanks John.

Below is a link where you can order the part, If once you have clicked the link you bookmark the page you will also see a video at the bottom of the screen that will show you how to replace the switch :)

To order your replacement part>>>>> CLICK HERE <<<<< To order your replacement part.

Thanks!

Mike.

Mike, Home Appliance Technician

Hello, Mike - I ordered the part re:the door lock for Cabrio washer. It was the exact correct part. I replaced it following the video instructions. It went in easily. BUT, the same thing happens. The door locks, the door lock starts flashing and the washer will not work. Any ideas?

Sorry will get back to you in the am, thanks

Hello, Mike - any idea why the lid lock light still flashes and machine won't work after I replaced the lid lock wiring harness?

Relist: Answer came too late.
Chas
Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Mike is offline right now, maybe I can help you? How soon after you start the machine does the lid lock light start flashing? ALso does it make any other noises that you hear other than the door lock locking?

Thanks, Chas - The normal startup process starts. The lid locks, the light comes on briefly, then it goes off and unlocks briefly, then the lid locks again and the light starts flashing and nothing else happens. I do not hear any noise, other than the lid locking.

Does this entire episode happen in less than a minute after starting the machine?

Yes

I would like for you to put it in diagnostic mode, I will get you the tech sheet for it, it will take about 10 minutes for me to get it, From there you can pull the error codes that may be logged into the machine...

Thanks

Click on the blue link below, save it,

Click here

Done

Have you got it into diagnostics yet?

yes - now what?

Okay now get the error codes and tell me what they are?

Hi, Chas - Are you still with me? We are in Seattle and lost power for a few hours. I will try to run the diagnostics now and let you know what I get.

I will be here for about another hour. let me know

Hi, Chas - If I read the display correctly, it showed a Lid Switch Fault, and then a basket speed sensor fault.

The lid lock error bothers me, as for the basket speed fault, that is the acutator, did you get the actuator into the white clip?

I think so. I replaced the lid lock mechanism and it went back together perfectly.

Run the calibration routine and try using it?

Tried it - No luck - The lid lock light still flashes and nothing happens

I believe your problem is the shift actuator, this is what is throwing your error. you can order the replacement shift actuator by clicking on the blue link below.

Click here for the correct part for your unit.

Repair Clinic offers a 365 day no question ask return policy, so if the repair does not work you can return the part to them for a full refund, yes this even includes electronic parts that many other part suppliers will not allow to be returned.

All I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. If you are done and rate a 1 or 2 s please consider replying and telling me what more I can do or what more you would have liked that was within my power so that I possibly give you that information or help me improve my customer satisfaction rating. . .

Bonuses are welcome if I have helped you a lot, however they are not mandatory

Thanks - I will give it a try. Thanks for your help today.

No problem, be sure to rate my service to you..

Chas - I replaced the actuator as you suggested. I recalibrated the machine and it makes no difference at all. I turn it on. It starts its "sensing" mode. Then the door locks and the "door lock" light starts flashing. Unless you have any better idea, I am going to call a repairperson.

Mike, Home Appliance Technician