Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I have a Kenmore side by side with water and ice in the door. It has stopped making ice,

I have a Kenmore side...
I have a Kenmore side by side with water and ice in the door. It has stopped making ice, and I trying to figure out which piece needs fixed.
The water in the door still works.
The optic eye that shuts the ice maker off has flashed 2 quick flashes, and a delay, then I pulled both sides of the optic out and put them back in, and then it was on solid. If I shut the light switch off in the freezer, the red light would go out. Then it started flashing with no delays. I can see the ice machine ejector fins moving very slowly. I poured some water in it to see if it would kick some out.
So my question. How do I know if I need new circuit boards for the optic eye, or a new ice maker, or a new water inlet valve?
Thank You,
Randy
10/25/2013
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So pulling out the emitter boards may have caused them to act up for a while. You'll want to just leave everything for about 24 hours with the icemaker filled with water and see what happens.

If the icemaker drops the ice in the bucket, then you know you have a frozen water line or an electronic water valve that has failed and isn't sending water up to the icemaker. The fill tube that freezes is mounted above the icemaker on the right side and it's black. You can use a hair dryer and thaw out this fill tube if it feels frozen. You can also pull the refrigerator forward and follow the water line down from the top of the freezer down to the valve and disconnect the water line that goes up to the icemaker. Blow through it and if it's clear you know it's not frozen and you're good to go. Other than that, just replace the valve itself if the water line was never frozen.

Now if the icemaker doesn't drop the ice, you either have a bad icemaker or bad optic boards. You can't test the icemaker, but you can test the emitter board. Look at the red light to the right, is it flashing 2 times and then pausing over and over? If you shut the flap on the left side and make a clear path from right to left, does the light turn solid? If so then the emitter boards are good. If it doesn't respond that way, then you need new emitter boards.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

I taped the emitter flap down and I get a light that flashes continuously now with no delay.
Does that mean the emitter boards are bad?
no, as I said--you need to wait about 24 hours before you can check the emitter boards since you removed them. Continuously flashing means that the emitter boards are in the middle of a cycle, so you could have a bad icemaker if it continues and never stop. But you'll need to wait 24 hours before you can see for sure.

I just checked it and there is no red light at all. Ice maker switch is in the on position.
No flashing.
OK so if that's the case then you have bad emitter boards and the emitter board would need to be replaced.
Ok. Thank you I appreciate your help. Should I unplug the fridge before I swap them out.
No problem, and yes you'll want to unplug the refrigerator before you replace the parts. Then wait 48 hours because it can take a while for the new emitter boards to start functioning depending on what they detect after installing them.

Here is something weird. When I open the door, there is no red light at all. When I push the freezer light button in to shut off the freezer light, the red light starts flashing with no delay. Does that mean anything?
Not really, just that it sounds like the emitter board is either not functioning properly or the icemaker is stuck in the middle of a cycle. There are white fingers that push the ice out of the icemaker mold, they should be facing up and toward you at a 45 degree angle. If not, then your icemaker is bad and not the emitter boards.

They were up there earlier today and now they are embedded in ice now.
OK so so you actually have a bad icemaker that will need to be replaced.
I saw them turning slowly earlier today, when I added the water. My guess is I put the water in there during the middle of the cycle or something. The problem is that I am still not quite sure which one it is. I hate to spend money on parts I don't need.
Here's the thing, it wouldn't matter if you added the water while it was cycling. The water can't freeze that quickly to freeze the fingers into the icemaker. The fingers would need to continue to cycle over and over before it finally froze inside the ice. And the icemaker should never cycle if there is water inside the icemaker so once it cycled one time, it should have stopped cycling until the water was frozen before it cycles again. That's why you have a bad icemaker.
Well I guess that's a good thing, because I just pulled the ice maker out and managed to drop it and and break the water inlet funnel off of it.
The interesting thing about it is that now that te ice maker is out, the red light is on solid.
Aye. The problem before is that the icemaker was in the middle of a cycle. That is why it was flashing all the time when you shut the flap. That's what I was saying before. The only reason it will flash all the time is if the icemaker is in the middle of a cycle or if the emitter board is bad.

So it sounds like the emitter boards are okay then?
They should be yes. You won't know 100% for sure until you replace the icemaker however.

Well sir I appreciate your help and wisdom. Have a great evening.
No problem and you do the same.
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc