Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

washer/dryer stacked unit, model 417.97312704. Dryer works,

Washer does not. Will not...
washer/dryer stacked unit, model 417.97312704. Dryer works, Washer does not. Will not fill, wash or spin. Unit has "open lid" safety lock out which appears to be working. Machine may have been improperly loaded (unbalanced) just before problem presented.
10/22/2013
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Thanks for your question. Please remember to rate my assistance when we're done. Please talk with me first before rating negatively.

Can you double check that model it is coming up invalid.

Info from label inside dryer door. Might be 417.97812704. Only serial number information visible.

Ok that is it. This unit will not fill or do anything unless the lid switch is working correctly. There are 2 wires going to the switch each are (TAN/BLACK) in color. Either the switch is burned out or the wires to it have come off or are burned off. You need to remove the front panel. Remove the 2 screws on the bottom then slide the panel straight DOWN about 1/2" then it will come off. Check the wiring there at the lid switch. If you can remove the two wires to the switch and use a jumper lead to connect them then try it and see if it starts to fill. Be careful and unplug the unit then jumper then plug it back in. Do not do this unless you are comfortable with electricity, but it is likely a bad switch or wire there.

All I ask is that you rate my assistance tips are appreciated. Thanks
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician

I am sure you are correct, but since I just stripped the head of one of the screws and will have to wait until tomorrow to drill it out, I won't be able to check the switch tonight. Since I have you on line and we are already this far... if the switch and wiring prove to be OK, what other component if any, might cause the condition and should be checked next?

Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician