Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Hello, I am an independent appliance repair tech learning as

I go. I worked on...
Hello, I am an independent appliance repair tech learning as I go. I worked on a Whirlpool Cabrio model WTW6600SW2 yesterday. The machine needed an RPS sensor and a bearing kit. The Stator also had cracks in it. I replaced all three parts but it is very cost prohibitive to the customer. About $500.00 for the repair with all three parts. My question is, Do the cracks in the Stator actually affect the overall performance of the machine? It doesn't seem to me that the cracks would have any affect but I cannot say for sure. Is there anyone out there with actual experience that can answer this question?
10/17/2013
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So the cracks in the stator don't 'normally' cause a problem, but there is no way to know until you replace the other parts. So the reason it could cause a problem is due to the RPS sensor. The RPS sensor actually measures the magnetic field created by the motor based on the strain the motor is under going when turning the tub. Now if the cracks cause the motor to shift at all, that can shift the magnetic field and that would give a bad reading even if nothing is wrong. The stator commonly cracks on these Cabrio models, but rarely needs to be replaced because of it.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hi Tyler,

Your answer was pretty clear but I have another question. If there is oil splatter under the machine and on the Stator plates, Is this an indication that the bearings are failing and need to be replaced? Also I spent a lot of money on parts and with my labor it was $500 to repair this machine. Most people would not have spent that kind of money to repair an 5 y/o washer. Would I have better served this customer to have advised them to by a new machine?

So if you saw splattering grease, then yes that usually means that you have a bearing that is starting to go out. At $500, the unit is still quite new and it's still cheaper than a new unit so I guess it depends on the position the customer is in if they think it's worth fixing or not. The issue with the bearing would put it over to the top and I probably wouldn't have advised to fix the machine, but sometimes you just don't know until you get into the unit either.

Hi Tyler, Thank you for your answers. I'm going to look at a Fisher Paykel double oven on Monday. The complaint is movement of the self clean door latches on both ovens which prevents the oven doors from closing. I don't have the model number yet so information is a little vague as I have not seen the unit yet. Have you ever seen anything like this? The customer states he has to physically push the latches over to close the oven doors. I have never worked on an FP before.

Aye. I actually own a Fisher and Paykel double oven. The latches are in the upper left corner and you need to uninstall the entire oven and remove the left side panel in order to access them for replacement. If they are starting to stick, they will need to be replaced or the door could lock and never open.

Hi Tyler, I went and looked at the DCS by Fisher&Paykel oven today. It is a WOSD230SS model. Of course the model number was missing off the oven but with help from Tech Support we were able to determine the number. This oven was in bad conditions as far as the hinges and front oven panel. I really couldn't find much wrong with the door latches accept that things didn't line up because of poor installation and bent parts, The latches appear to be center right but with new hinges and other parts they will probably line up better. The latches themselves are pretty simple mechanically speaking. Two micro switches and one 120v motor with a cam that locks and unlocks the door. Nothing seemed bent and I used a cheater cord to power the motor. I stopped the motor at the point where the latches were adjusted as far left as possible. Both micro switches test good for continuity as well. So I can't see that there would be an ERC problem either. I ordered the two door locks as well but will probably be sending them back. This model has the latch in the middle front so lucky for me I did not have to pull the oven out more than 8 inches or so. Thanks for your advise earlier with the limited information I had. I was nervous about this one but this repair turned out to be not to difficult. I might consider signing up for the monthly service for unlimited questions. Since I am still fairly new at this it seems like I have questions about everything. I changed a snubber ring on a Maytag single belt the other day and I was surprised that it fixed the balance problem. My trainer told me that anytime one of those Maytags has balance problems to tell the customer to get a new machine. Has that been your experience?

So just to start, the DCS model you worked on is COMPLETELY different than the Fisher and Paykel ovens. Fisher and Paykel owns DCS now, but they didn't when this oven was made. This oven was actually made by Jenn Air which is why you might have noticed it was quite easy to work on and likely something you've seen before if you've worked on Jenn air.

Either way, there is really no reason to replace those Performa or Atlantis style Maytag washers with the single belt if it's out of balance. Usually I just make sure all 6 springs are still attached and if so then replace the snubber assuming the inner basket is held securely. The one that usually requires a new washer is when the washer stops spinning up to speed on the spin cycle and it spin slowly. On those particular washers, most of the timer is the transmission (only this style washer mind you) and that's very expensive.

I tried to take out the inner basket to see if there was something under it. Couldn't do it but it was probably unnecessary anyway. I couldn't visibly see anything wrong with the old snubber but took a chance and replaced it anyway. The springs were all attatched and looked good. So are you you saying these transmissions sometimes start to drag causing a slow spin? I suppose slow spin could also be a worn belt.

There is actually a friction gear inside these transmissions and it begins to loose friction which is why the spin slows down if they get older.

But slow spin could be a worn belt or a bad thrust bearing dragging. Those would be all the options really.

Have you got time for another question? I'm going to look at a GE slide in range, Model #JGSP30GEP2BG. The customer states that he already knows he needs a new control board. The clock stopped working years ago. He said eventually all the spark ignitors on the stove top stopped working as well so he lights the burners with a match. I was thinking that I need to replace the clock first before I can diagnose the ignition module or the individual ignitors. Would these components work independently of the clock?

I was offline when you asked this. It I could help you with this issue, you would just need to start a new question since it's a different appliance is all.
Ok sure. I read somewhere that I could ask questions for seven days. I have not used the service before so I wasn't sure how it works. Thanks for all of your answers. You helped me a lot.
not a problem at all. If you need anything else, just let me know. As for the seven day offers, please understand I have no idea what goes on with the billing process--I can really only help with appliance questions as billing is really out of my scope and have no knowledge of what offers JustAnswer is presenting to you.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc