Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I have an old Tappan electic stove with two ovens. The lower

I have an old Tappan...
I have an old Tappan electic stove with two ovens. The lower oven has a gasket that goes with the light fixture assembly. The gasket which is asbestos has broken apart. Is there a replacement gasket of any kind that will fit? I realize that asbestos is no longer available, but is there a compatible gasket that would solves the problem?
10/15/2013
John, Home Appliance Technician
Hi I,m John I will help you with the gasket problem,
can you send me the model number so I can look up that model for the gasket please .

The model number for my 40 year-old plus is 73-3449-05.

Cant find that model number anywhere, do you have the length of the casket ?

The gasket is a circle, and it is 5 inches in diameter. It is held in place by the ring that goes around the light globe.

For the light bulb on that age of stove you can use gasket material from an automotive supply store and cut it to the shape you require ,you wont find a replacement for that age of stove anywhere .
If you require more assistance let me know please .
A rating of three or more will credit me for helping with the gasket problem .

I need more information regarding the type of material from the automotive store. Is it cork, or what is it? My concern is I don't want it to catch fire when I use my oven, or when I use the cleaning element that comes with this model of oven. When I clean the oven for two hours, it becomes extremely hot. I need an answer to what kind of material I should ask for at the automotive place. And, I need to know that it is not combustable in the situations that I have mentioned.

When you go to the auto parts store tell them where you want to use the gasket and they will sell you a hi temp gasket material, some gaskets they have are good to 900 deg .and thats ok for the self cleaning cycle .

One last question--

Does there absolutely have to be a gasket behind that light assembly? I wa s thinking of just putting in the new light bulb and attaching the globe and ring without any gasket.

You can use the light lens without a gasket, many new stoves don't use a gasket .If the lens is screwed on just don't torque the screws .
John, Home Appliance Technician
John, Home Appliance Technician