Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

My washing machine does not aggitate; however it does spin.

It buzzes when I put...
My washing machine does not aggitate; however it does spin. It buzzes when I put it on aggitate. My machine is 7 years old (model #MAVT546EWW) and I wonder if this something reasonable to fix or I should purchase a new one?
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/7/2013
Kelly, Appliance Technician
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to helping you! Is the tub spinning when it is supposed to be agitating or is the motor not even starting? Does it do the same on every cycle?

The tub did not spin when it was supposed to be agitating...the motor does not even start. This washer has a separate spin only cycle and it did spin and empty the water on that cycle.

Okay, does the tub fill with water at all when you start a cycle?

The tub filled initially, but when it was supposed to move to the actual wash cycle to agitate that is when it only buzzed and did nothing.

Okay, good information, thank you! Ralph, the front of the machine will come off if you use a putty knife to release the clips (number 4) and hinge the top up. The, you will have access to the 5/16" screws that secure the top in place. Can you remove the front panel so we can get a look inside?

yes, but it will take me a while to do this.

Sure, just post back when you have the front off and we can continue then.

we have ethe front off

Great! See any loose or burnt wires on the motor?

No

Okay, can you turn the belt on the bottom of the machine in both directions and see all 3 pulleys moving?

The belts are underneath and unreachable and the only way to do that would be to tip the machine on its back.

Can you prop it up on a block of wood or brick just enough to access it?

Yes...and all three pulleys move.

Thank you! Do you have a meter to test voltage with?

I have a meter that tests 220 or 110.

Okay, can you get the machine to where it should start agitating but instead hums and test between the yellow wire and the red wire at the motor for 120 VAC, please?

Well, the machine is now agitating....maybe moving it around made it work. Thanks for your help.

Excellent!

Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. There is no additional charge for any follow up help!

Please remember to leave positive feedback before you leave. If you have any other questions, please let me know! You may continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need, even after rating my service. Thank you!

Kelly, Appliance Technician

I ran the washer yesterday after it started agitating and found that it agitated very slowly and it had a loud knocking noise that sounded like gears were slipping or that a bearing was out. It sounded a lot worse during the wash agitation cycle than it did on the rinse agitation cycle. I think that what happened before is that it got hot and would not allow the motor to turn it which is why is just buzzed. My question is are there gears in the transmission which can slip during the wash cycle? Does this help you to answer our question as to whether it is cost effective for us to repair our washer?

I do not think it is the washer but the lower radial bearing. There is a kit out that replaces the entire assembly. It is available below and comes with complete installation instructions. It is not difficult to install and will only take about 30 minutes. Everything is done from the bottom of the machine.

Pulley/Bearing Assembly <----- CLICK HERE FOR THE CORRECT PART FOR YOUR MODEL

Well, I thought it might a bearing; however, it spins and drains with no problem. It is the agitation wash cycle that seems to be the problem. If you still think this is the correct part for the problem, then I will order it.

I do believe it is the issue, the old style kit has an exposed needle bearing and many spacers. The plastic helix and the exposed bearing wear over time. The new kit has a sealed bearing and redesigned spacer.
Kelly, Appliance Technician