Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

we bought a new viking telescoping downdraft, it isnt even

we bought a new viking telescoping downdraft, it isn't even hooked up yet and my husband pulled up on it to remove a piece of blue tape and now it won't lower, do you think it came off its track? Can it be fixed?
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So probably the best thing to do is just install the downdraft and then call warranty out. They'll come out and take a look at it. There is not reason to connect the venting to it, but just make sure that everything else is connected and installed and they'll come out under warranty to determine what has happened.

As for what might have happened, either the drive gear could have jammed, possibly the filter covers are not installed properly causing the downdraft to not go up and down properly, or maybe the linkage that attaches to the lift motor (drive motor) is just out of position. Either way, it's still under warranty so that Is the route I would go.

If you really wanted to try to fix it yourself, you would want to make sure the filters are installed properly and if so all the screws on the front panel would need to be removed and the entire front panel would need to be removed to look and see what's going on with the drive motor and linkage.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I think the problem is that my husband pulled up on it after he had raised it with the remote control. Whatever happened to it, he did it, because it was working fine with the remote control before that. So you think it can be fixed? Right now I am really upset. Thanks

Yes, it can definitely be fixed. There really isn't much of a track system on this unit. To really see what is going on with it you'd need to remove the entire front panel. But I really think the best option is to install it without the vent attached so that you have power going to it and then call warranty and have the come out and they can see why it's stuck.