Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I have a frigidaire microwave / oven combo. The microwave

I have a frigidaire microwave...
I have a frigidaire microwave / oven combo. The microwave is an Electrolux built in April 2008 and is not working now when I press the Start button. The clock does count down but no heat and no plate turning. It did work for a few weeks if I would open and close the door or press the cancel button and just keep playing around and then it would heat. There near the end I could get it to work by slightly touching the button that opens and closes the microwave door. Now it does not work at all. I thought it may be the door sensor switches so I opened up the unit (not easy) and checked all 3 of the door sensor switches with my digital meter and they all checked out ok. What should I check next? Thanks.
9/30/2013
Kelly, Appliance Technician
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to helping you! The issue you are having is indeed with a door switch not being actuated or the contacts inside not being able to carry voltage. Number 30 is the part that the switches are mounted to. Does it seem to hold the switches firmly in place?

All 3 door switches checked out ok when tested with my volt meter. I did the same test on newly purchased door switches and the new switch tested the same as my current microwave door switches plus when I push in the red button on the switches they appear to respond correctly. Are you saying the door switches could be bad even though they checked out ok on my volt meter?
It is quite common for a small switch like that to test good but when out under a load to be unable to carry the voltage, yes. The bottom switch is the primary interlock and the top switch is the door sensing switch. It will be one of those two. That is, of course, if the part below is not out of shape or broken. Does that latch seem to be bent as pictured and not loose or cracked, allowing too much movement?

The bottom latch seems to be good. I will take out the top 2 switches and replace them with a new switch and see if the microwave works. I did not take the switch out of the microwave to test it but just left it in the microwave to test. I thought that would be ok.
The middle one is the monitor switch, it is fine or it would keep blowing fuses. Replace the top and bottom and you should be in good shape.

Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. There is no additional charge for any follow up help!

Please remember to leave positive feedback before you leave. If you have any other questions, please let me know! You may continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need, even after rating my service. Thank you!

Kelly, Appliance Technician
Kelly, Appliance Technician