Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I have a Maytag front loading washing machine which was going

through the cycle got to...
I have a Maytag front loading washing machine which was going through the cycle got to the rinse/spin cycle towards the end of the cycle and stopped working and showed the code"df". I still cannot open the door to get the model# XXXXX serial #, so I believe it is a problem with the computer, except that It will turn on to start a cycle, but makes a somewhat loud buzzing noise. It just doesn't sound good...

What does "df" mean and what can I do , if I can't open the door. It is locked and there is water in the drum with the clothes?
9/29/2013
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Hello,My name is XXXXX XXXXX be helping you today. Is your detergent and bleach dispenser on the top of the machine on the left side ?

Hi there was a problem that just got straightened out with customer service. The dispensers are on the top left

okay perfect. open the dispenser door and take the four Phillip head screws out and the remove the door assembly. (plastic part) Dispenser Trim 22003277        Main Product Viewit will be similar to this and have the door attached. once you have that out there a florescent cord you pull to unlock the door . it runs to the door latch. once the doors open can you get me the model number ?

when I remove the dispenser there are only two phillips head screws

oh okay well that's fine I'm going blind here.the cable should be in there though.

There is no cable there and there was a third phillips head screw on the far right next to the power button I removed that and The door is still locked and there are no more screws

okay wait a minute, is the control panel on the front above the door ? I may be giving you the wrong info. if it is let me ask you under the door is there a panel all the way across that looks like will come off ? sorry but without a model number I'm blind.

yes there is. I guess I should put the Philips head screws back in first..? and then I will see if that panel comes off. I am afraid to get water all over..it doesn't look like a lot of water, as it was almost done. I guess it's okay right.?

yes put the screws back in and look at the very bottom of the front panel and there should be screws way down near the floor (sometimes you need to tip the machine back to see them) remove them and take the panel off.

okay I removed the panel across the bottom there is a book, no one ever gave me when installed...is MAH2400AW the model#?

okay great , the book should tell you how to get the door open. the reason it didn't open is theres still water in it which tells me the pump is the issue. its not draining .

this book is technical book. It does explain the codes that show on the panel, and I thought it said df but the only one with an :f is "does not fill.. there isn't visible water in there. so maybe it was trying to "fill" to rinse. I had a handyman recently move the silver vent hose (big, looks like a solid "slinky" to the side of the machine from the back, so i could close the door, maybe he fouled something up. although it has been working for 3 weeks since he worked on it. Should I just get an appliance repair man in? and if so, what do I tell him?

these are difficult machines to work on, does the book tell you how to put this in diagnostic mode ? I'm trying to find that info.

Of course in the middle of everything my computer crashed..haha//anyway...I unplugged the machine, waited 3 minutes and the door opened..the only problem is that it was full of water. I cleaned up the mess (not a lot, closed it back up). Figured maybe the computer on the machine needed rebooting...put it on a spin cycle and it did nothing but make that buzzing sound again. I guess something is broken..The machine turns on with the cycles, etc. it is stuck and as you said, it isn't draining. I need to get someone in here. It is in a confined space and it sounds like the motor is broken...I have had it only three and a half years, and it is annoying since I got it. I also had it repaired one and a half years ago...they replaced the motor, then. no warranty at this point. I have a lightweight blanket in there..a thermal, which I guess is heavier with the water..I have washed it many times before with no problems...Do you think I need a technician? I am a Physical Therapist....I know computers, but not motors..haha...what do you think I should do?

okay the issue is the pump. that's the buzzing you hear, most likely some of the blanket thread came off and Jammed the pump. . the pump is tough to get to, these are a pain. if you can get in through the back of the machine and reach the pump to remove it I'll bet something is jamming it and you can clear it and fix this, If you don't think you can do that you will most likely need a tech to come out. I hate to tell people that but sometimes its difficult to fix

They would need to move it forward as it is in a small space and I have no way to reach back there. Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX I know what to say to the guy, so I seem to know what I am talking about. It must be the appliance year, they were out two weeks ago to tell me that I need a new dishwasher..man...I think these appliances talk to one another and go on strike...the blanket is not the "fraying" type,..very tight weave, but something must be blocking it, as you said. It is buzzing..is that replaceable or do I need a new washer? Meaning: is the cost too prohibitive to replace the pump instead? Thanks for your help.

yeah their junk now days unfortunately sorry,the pump is around $100.00 but I'll bet its just jammed and can be cleaned out and run. Good luck and well wishes, please remember to rate me 3 or above before signing off. have a great Sunday, thanks, Bryan

Thank you for all of the info. Since I have a starting point, I can watch what they do. Actually this guy does know his stuff..he totally explained re: the dishwasher..and showed me exactly why I needed a new one. He didn't treat me like a "girl"..haha...I will rate you highly and yes, enjoy this wonderful Sunday,

have a great day ! and thanks , Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician