Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a GE Spacemaker Microwave HVM1770DM, The Touchpad stopped

I have a GE Spacemaker Microwave HVM1770DM, The Touchpad stopped working. I have done the usual things: Unplugged it, dryed it out with a hair blower, opened it up and cleaned the connecting cable and reset every insert. But the problem persists.
Some of the buttons work and others do not. The Start and Clear buttons do not. The 30 second and 1 minute do if I open and shut the door. The clock does not.
What to do?
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Unfortunately there is nothing left to do at this point since you've already tried to clean the ribbon cable and heat up the touchpad with a hair dryer. But that being said, it doesn't sound like you have a bad touchpad because you said if you open and shut the door the 30 second and 1 button function which wouldn't affect the touchpad at all, it would affect the display board. So below is a link to the display control board you'd need to order and replace to fix this issue. The part number is XXXXX and it costs about $150 if you wanted to replace it.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

That is an answer but it didnt solve the problem. I would rather not pay the full $30 for this

I'm not sure what you mean exactly? I can't control how your microwave fails, I can only help determine what needs to be done to fix the problem. I have no control over how the appliance failed any more than you do.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It's obvious that whatever part is at issue is not failing completely. It is not working partially. If that is the case, you have no idea where the problem is and what efforts could be made to correct it other than to suggest that it cant be fixed.?

I'm not sure what you mean. I know exactly where the problem is---that is why I said you need to replace the control board. Yes the problem is sporadic right now so if it's not something that you want to fix, then that's completely up to you. But that doesn't change what part needs to be replaced to fix the issue.