Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I have a ARTC8600 convection range. when I try to use the oven

the door light flashes and...
I have a ARTC8600 convection range. when I try to use the oven the door light flashes and will not let me do anything with the oven.
9/25/2013
Randy 43
Randy 43, Home Appliance Technician

Randy 43 :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX iam happy to help you with your question today..Can you see a black switch around the door frame when you open the door? try pushing it in a holding it in while starting the oven , see if the lock motor turns at the same time

Customer:

Tried Randy nothing happens except the oven light goes out. The panel still flashes "Door".

Randy 43 :

will it go into a selfclean ? if it starts to go into self clean keep holding the switch in ,let it start and cancel the selfclean 30 seconds later

Customer:

no. f7 code

Randy 43 :

ok , can you unplug the range or turn the breaker off to it for 5 minutes and see if it resets

Customer:

Ok will you be here?

Randy 43 :

yes , all nite im here

Customer:

Ok unplugged and plugged back in same thing Randy.

Randy 43 :

other than the black switch is there another rod in either corner at the top when the door is opened?

Customer:

No Sir.

Randy 43 :

it has a manual latch that you move over for self clean or a motorized latch ..i have similiar models but not yours exactly

Customer:

As far as I can see this has a motorize latch, I see no lever for manual latch. I have another range that this on replaced and that has a manual latch. This did work earlier today, but now it doesn't.

Randy 43 :

it has something to do with the switch or the latch itself , the board is sensing that the door is latched and wont let it continue , is there a hook that sticks out a bit to lock the door , try turning that manually one way ,then the other a little , not too much ,with vice grips or pliers ,it may just be missing activating the latch switch

Customer:

Ok Randy I didn't use a vice grip or anything but I tried to move it and closed the oven door and a little lite saying locked came on. Could not get the oven door open. hit the cancel oven switch a couple times and it went out. Now it I can use the oven. So what is my problem here?

Randy 43 :

sticky door latch assembly . its not closing or opening all the way to activate the latch switch ..a new latch would fix the issue

Randy 43 :

it may work again, it may not , nay get stuck but if you twist that hook it will activate the micro switch

Customer:

Door is stuck shut again.

Customer:

what is a f9 code

Randy 43 :

ok , push on the door as it turns ,,try locking and unlocking in self clean ..F9 is a bad latch assembly

Customer:

There is no manual to this oven door. I is locked shut.

Randy 43 :

just push on the door , as it tries to unlock ,,try putting into selfclean or reset it at the breaker and push on the door to allow the latch to try and open

Customer:

Well that is the problem, but now I got the door open and the latch decided to go shut and now the oven door will not close.

Randy 43 :

yea that latch is definately bad .it will have a mind of its own

Customer:

Is there anyway I can disable it?

Randy 43 :

you can pop the top up and disconnect wiring to the latch and insulate the wires ,mark where they go ..and see if the clock registers a fault ? otherwise a new latch is the only fix

Customer:

Thanks very much Randy.

Randy 43
Randy 43, Home Appliance Technician
Randy 43
Randy 43
Randy 43, Home Appliance Technician