Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I have a Sub Zero model 590 and the ice maker keeps freezing

the water supply line @...
I have a Sub Zero model 590 and the ice maker keeps freezing the water supply line @ tip where it enters the freezer. I have replaced the water supply solenoid/s 3 times and they seem to last for about a year -- then no ice? Any suggestions?
9/23/2013
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So replacing the solenoid is usually the best solution for this issue, but it sounds like the water supply is just a bit to low or it starts to clog up the electronic water solenoid over time. The reason that the fill tube freezes is because the valve lets water in too slow or the valve isn't sealing off and is dripping through the valve slowly. Either way, you'll want to replace the valve again possibly, but more importantly, you'll need to possibly replace the valve that supplies water to the refrigerator on your house if it's slowing down the water flow to the freezer itself to the point that the water is beginning to freeze in the fill tube over time because the water flow is too slow.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Tyler,

I am confused on the 'too slow' comment of the water flow through the solenoid.

I have a water filtration system that supplies the ice maker solenoid but have no idea as to its operating pressure is there a suggested presure?

John D.

OK so that would explain your problem. If you have an RO or other water filtration system, that would cause the fill tube to freeze up when the pressure gets too low sometimes. The pressure must remain above 60 psi to function properly, and although the pressure probably stays above 60 psi most of the time, when the filter starts getting clogged or going through it's recharge cycle (on an RO system) it can drop the pressure and cause the problem.

Tyler,

What is the fix after a new solenoid? Replumb the water supply to the ice maker to keep the pressure up?

John D.

Removing the refrigerator from the filter system, or upping the pressure if that's possible. Those would be the only other fixes.
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Tyler,

Changed to city water at your suggestion and the solenoid froze again. I don't believe pressure has anything to do with my problem it is a faulty valve that is allowing water to trickle to the ice maker & freeze the tip so the system fail;s.

There really is just nothing else that would cause it other than your electronic water valve or possibly the freezer is colder than 0 degrees.

Best I can measure is the fridge is running at close to 0. But when I took the water solenoid out of the loop there was water laying in the tubing going to the ice maker and this should have been completely shut off by the solenoid when the system is not calling for water. So I am replacing this solenoid and going back to the R/O supply.

Alright, well I would replace the valve as there is just really nothing left even though I know you've replaced it a few times in the past.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc