Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I have a GE side-by-side refrigerator. About two months ago,

I have a GE side-by-side...
I have a GE side-by-side refrigerator. About two months ago, GE came to the house and replaced the damper because temperatures in the freezer and refrigerator were not being maintained at desired settings.

Last night I went to get some ice from the dispenser and noticed that the cubes were much clearer than normal. When I opened the freezer door, I noticed that the food was starting to thaw. I shut the door and opened the fresh food side where the digital temperature controls are located. I noticed the temperature in the freezer was above 32 degrees and the temperature in the fresh food side was in the mid 40's. I tried resetting the temperatures. Before bedtime, I noticed a little change in the temperatures, but not much. I got up in the middle of the night and the freezer had dropped to 25 degrees and the fresh food side was at 40 degrees. I thought the refrigerator was recovering and went back to bed. However, this morning I noticed the temperature was again rising in both sides.

I can hear something running when the doors are closed. I assume it is the compressor. I have even held the "door closed" switch in the freezer with the door open and can hear something running.

I am getting ready to lose all my food and could use some insight as to what the problem is.

Thanks,

Terry
9/22/2013
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

If the freezer section is beginning to warm up and not the refrigerator section, the issue has to do with your compressor not running. You need to pull the refrigerator forward and remove the lower back access panel. Make sure the fan next to the compressor is running to cool the compressor or else the fan needs to be replaced. If the fan is running, then you're down to either a bad compressor or the control board isn't sending power to the compressor and the control board needs to be replaced. You'd need a multimeter to test for 120 volts to the compressor but just as a reference, the compressor rarely if ever fails. The relay on the control board normally is the part that fails and stops sending power to the compressor consistently so the control board (located behind the 8" x 10" sheet metal panel on the back of the refrigerator) needs to be ordered and replaced to fix the issue.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Tyler...both sides have been warming up gradually. However, I can hear something running in both sides. A little while ago, I pushed the turbo cool button. I can definitely feel something blowing in the freezer section, but not so much in the fresh food side.

There is nothing that blows in the refrigerator. The fan inside the freezer blows air to the refrigerator so as long as the fan inside the freezer runs, then the thermostat knows it needs to cool and is trying to cool the refrigerator. If the freezer has gotten above 32 degrees, that would be why the refrigerator is warming up slightly. The answer I gave you is still 100% correct and you need to follow the advice in order to fix your problem.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc