Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

why does my kenmore dryer stop running when i release start…

why does my kenmore dryer...
why does my kenmore dryer stop running when i release start button
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/22/2013
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Hello,My name is XXXXX XXXXX be helping you today. Do you have the model number ? look inside the door for a tag. thanks Bryan

110 72994100

Okay perfect, Now do you have a volt meter ?

no

okay this actually starts and turns until you let go of the start switch correct ?

yes

I did not receive an answer

okay unfortunately that's a bad thing. the motor has a centrifugal switch on it and when the motor starts it starts with the start windings, once its spinning the centrifugal switch kicks in and the motor runs off the run windings. unfortunately the centrifugal switch is bad on the motor but that is not sold separately it only comes with the motor. Drive Motor 279787 Alternate Product View you would need to replace your motor to fix the issue. heres a link to order it if you wish, MOTOR This is around $158.00 so its up to you if you want to replace it. sorry for the bad news. thanks, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician

Are You sure this will fix problem

yes I am, the start relay isn't the issue because it starts, the same thing with both the timer and door switch, if this turns but just wont stay running when you let go of the start switch it means the centrifugal switch is bad. I wish they sold that separately but they don't, sorry.

motor is good what else could be wrong

you had the motor tested and its good? I wish you had a volt meter so you could do some testing. do you know someone with one ?

no tried new circut board cost 179$ did not solve problem put old one back on

Okay I'll try and get the tech sheets up, I'll be back in a bit, thanks.

my wife was drying bed spread dryer finished spread wasnt dry moisture light on dryer wouldnt start to hot left door open to cool down dryer started and finished drying went to dry next load dryer would not run when you took finger off stop button but now we dont get moisture light or any of the other tow

so this seems like a different problem or symptom ? or is it doing the exact same thing ? you push start and it starts then when you let go of the start button it stops or will it not start at all ?

it starts but quits when you lrt go of start button

okay , it has to be either the motor relay. or the timer itself. if you can get a volt meter that would help. can you ? Do you have an appliance parts store near you ?

my friend has one but doesnt get off work till 5pm he is elect. what about miisture sensor could be bad

the moisture sensor wouldn't keep this from running. have you tried this in timed dry ? if so doe it do the same thing ?

does same thing in time dry

okay so it wouldn't be the moisture sensor , that's for the automatic cycle, its one of the two things I mentioned. I would start with the motor relay.
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician