Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

rotten smell coming from underneath the refrigerator. Cleaning

rotten smell coming from underneath the refrigerator. Cleaning inside and out removed smell for 2 months. Smell is back.
Refrigerator works fine.
Hello,My name is XXXXX XXXXX be helping you today. Does it smell like a dead mouse or something like that ?
Okay I guess you tried to answer with a new question but they closed it. there is most likely a dead mouse in the condenser coils if you cant see it. the condenser coils are number 32 on this diagram. its part of the compressor assembly. you can buy a coil brush at lowes for around $10.00 and get that into the coils to try and get it out. this is a tough one though unfortunately. go to Lowes and then the appliance dept. and ask for a refrigerator coils brush.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

would it be ok to turn the empty ref on its side in order to clean the coils?

that's not a great idea however you could tip it back and lean it against the wall (brace it) and then go from the front under and clean the coils that way if you can get to them through the bottom front but I think on this one theres a bottom pan that covers it. If you do tip this back don't plug it back it for about 1/2 hour after putting it back down to allow the oil to get back into the bottom of the compressor.