How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tyler Z. Your Own Question
Tyler Z.
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Category: Appliance
Satisfied Customers: 81968
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Type Your Appliance Question Here...
Tyler Z. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Kenmore Model253.54362409 refrigerator. In- Door Water dispenser

This answer was rated:

Kenmore Model253.54362409 refrigerator. In- Door Water dispenser actuator (part no. XXXXXXXXX do I remove and replace the actuator?
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So while this dispenser in the video isn't EXACTLY like your model, it's very very close and the access is the same. The actual actuator is just slightly different than yours, but either way it should show you how to do the entire process. If you get stuck on anything, just let me know and I can help. Below is a link to the video

CLICK HERE for video

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks Tyler some of the video was applicable with respect to replacing the actuator itself. However, my unit has a one piece escutcheon/bezel unlike the unit in the video. I need to know how to remove it without damaging so I can have access to the unit's mounting screws. I tried replying to you earlier and was kicked out to another technician!!! Please reply as this is the crux of the requirement.

I'm really not sure which piece you're talking about. That escutcheon just comes off the same as as the video shows. The drip tray at the bottom of the dispenser will pull forward and out, but it's often clipped in really tight so you need to pull hard on it to remove it. That will expose 3 screws at the bottom of the escutcheon and then the entire control panel just lifts up and off.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The escutcheon is ONE piece covering the bottom mounting screws unlike the video which shows a separate water tray with integral bottom bezel piece covering the bottom 3 mounting screws. It is like a one piece integral cover plate/trim for the whole unit! The water tray on my unit is a separate piece that simply inserts in the bottom of the unit. You cannot pull anything forward to remove it and expose the screws. It doesn't look anything like the one in the video

It's not, it only looks like it is. Below is a breakdown diagram of your exact model number.

You can see that part 23 separates from part number 4 in the diagram below.

CLICK HERE for diagram

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Tyler, I see why you're so insistent. I have the same Sears diagram from the original documentation package which is nothing like the actual unit. Again it is one whole piece of bezel/escutcheon covering the periphery of the unit and has an integral label module unlike the separate part 14. Just so we're on the same page, it does not have a separate part 23 or part 14.... Somehow that one piece bezel/escutcheon assembly clips to the unit and it has to be removed in it's entirety before you can access the 3 screws. How do I do that? Anyway to send you a photo so you can believe what I'm saying? Surely there other manufacturers who have this similar assembly.

Sure, if you can attach a picture using the insert/edit image button above the text box (if you're on Firefox or Internet Explorer) or if you upload it to and give me a link to the picture I can see it. But that being said, really the only other style would be the Whirlpool style. Your model is actually made by Frigidaire, but below is a video that shows you how to remove the Whirlpool style if you wanted to try that.

CLICK HERE for video

Tyler Z. and 2 other Appliance Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Tyler, that did it! Successfully removed the bezel per the last video. I guess Kenmore used both Frigidaire and Whirlpool pieces in their design. Thanks for hanging in there...a lesson to both of us! I will rate you accordingly...keep up the good work.

That's quite alright. I'm glad you got it all solved in the end!