Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I have an LG Range Model#LSC5683WS, Ser# XXXXX For

the last week or so...
I have an LG Range Model#LSC5683WS, Ser# XXXXX For the last week or so we have noticed that things placed in the oven are coming out incompletely cooked. Today the problem came to a head with apple pie on the agenda. The oven was placed on normal bake, temperature requested 400 degrees F. After more than 20 minutes the display reported that the oven is preheating and the temperature is 360 degrees F. Waiting longer made no difference. Placing a third party temperature probe in the oven indicated a temperature (according to the probe) of 210 degrees F.

Suspecting a problem with the digital controls, the range was powered off (breaker in main panel) for about 5 minutes and then powered up again hoping this would help, it didn't. Problem was the same except the temperature reported in the display did not pass 355 degrees F this time.

Advice appreciated.

Also, while searching on the Internet I also discovered the range in question is part of a recall. I am guessing that this is not a factor...
9/16/2013
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So believe it or not, you could have a bad control board as you suspect, or a bad bake element. The bake element should turn on 100% of the time while in bake mode, and the broil element will turn on 30% of the time to heat the oven up quicker. If only the broil element is turning on 30% of the time, it will cap out and can't go any higher than about 250 degrees inside the oven, but since all the heat is at the top, the sensor will read higher than the average temperature. You'll need to pull the oven forward and remove the back panel. Unplug the oven and disconnect the wires going to the bake element. Test continuity through the element to see if you have between 5 and 50 ohms through the element. If not, then replace the bake element. If you do have continuity, then replace the relay control board.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc