Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

My washing machine runs water with out anything is being turned

on? What is the problem...
My washing machine runs water with out anything is being turned on? What is the problem. This has happened twice in the last four months?
9/16/2013
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Hello,My name is XXXXX XXXXX be helping you today. do you have a make and model number ?

Bryan, here is the model number and the serial number for the washing machine:

whirlpool

MOD: LTE5243Q6

SER: MW0909265

TYPE DT/T-ELE-240602/FM30

Bryan, here is the Model number and the serial number

MOD: LTE5243DQ6

SER: MW0909265

TYPE DT/T -ELE 240602? FM30

okay perfect, now you say the water comes in when the machine is off is that correct ? the drum will fill even when not in use ?

Yes Sir! That is correct. It came on its own. Nothing else is on; just the water runs and fills the drum and floods the house.

how did you check the fill valve when you tested it ? Water Inlet Valve 285805 Main Product View did you test for voltage to it when the machine was off? you say it fills the machine how much water is comming in ? what I mean is when the water is comming in is it comming in full blast or it trickling in but enough to fill the drum and overflow ? how long does it take for the water to fill the drum ?
I meant the vaccum switch. Tthe water comes in full blast. Once you shut the supply off and turn it back on, it does not doo it. But this happend twice and flooded the house
okay so you check the water level switch I see, well you should replace the water valve if the water is coming in with no power to the valve, its not holding shut, now if you can catch this while its happening see if power is getting to the valve and causing it to open. When you caught this flooding and shut the water off to stop it was the washer plugged in ? if so did you hear a buzzing noise coming from the valve area ?
Washer was plugged. I wasnot around both times. My wife shut of ghe supply line. When I turned the water back on, it did not dowaht it did . When the timer swit h is off, how come the valve gets power to open that is what you arr saying

okay perfect. sorry just realized you said this was plugged in.

I suspect the timer is bad. Timer(NNN) NNN-NNNN        Alternate Product View all power comes through the timer so theres a contact that engaging in the timer if this is getting power when its not supposed to but we cant be sure unless you catch this happening then you could put a volt meter on the valve and see. heres a link to the timer. TIMER , 90% of the time when this happens it the timer.
So, that means, We can not tell if the timer is faulty. Is this a common problem? Do you get a lot of questions about this kind of problem? I take that back, if you have, you would have the answer. Right? Well, this is a very weird thing. What is my chance of getting this thing working normally? What is your suggestion to do? I do not want to replace parts and find out it will not work.
well that's the problem, in order to know if the timer is opening the valve or if the valve is just opening from water pressure you would need to unplug it and see if it does this when the machine is unplugged, if it does the valve is bad, if not the timer is bad. the timer is returnable at the sight I gave you so you can return it, the problem is even if you replace the timer you wont know until it happens or doesn't happen. that's the problem with intermittent issue's.

So what is your expert suggestiopn? You can not say, for sure, what it is; right? Agian, this is not a problem that happened with in short period of time span. Therefore, it may happen in a very near future or distant time. So, would you say, it is wise to replace, the timer, board and valve all at once and I can be sure it will not happen again? How much is the control board? I am assuming it will be costly and may be buy a new washer???

Okay I would start by replacing the valve. if you wish to. this is more common than the timer, the valve can open from water pressure and can flood, the inlet valve is only $24.00 so its by far cheaper than the timer which is $118.00 Like I said however because this is an intermittent problem you would need to catch it doing that to be able to do testing to see which part it needs. I cant just be 100% sure because of that. so its kinda a tossup. its one or the other however for sure. I'm giving you the links to both. here the TIMER and this is the valve just click the blue links. they are returnable at that site even if installed.
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician