Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

My Maytag Neptune front load washer is not working. I was

My Maytag Neptune front load...
My Maytag Neptune front load washer is not working. I was getting the "nd" error code. I took the back off and checked the drain hose and the black bulb thing and the pump motor. I didn't see anything blocking it, just some goop that I cleaned as best as I could. Put it back together and started it on a 39 minute wash. At 24 minutes is wasn't spinning but it sounded like it was draining. But it stayed on 24 minutes for 10 minutes and never started spinning. I reset the breaker, hit the off button, etc. Now the door won't unlock and the washer keeps starting at the same place...just kind of whining but not moving.
9/12/2013
Jon
Jon, Appliance Technician

Jon :

Hello

Jon :

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an authorized Whirlpool and Maytag service technician and I can help you today.

Jon :

Are you getting any error code like E-1 or F-2 in the display when the machine whines?

Jon :

or any other lights flashing?

Customer:

No. It just stays on 24, as if it has 24 minutes left but no error code now.

Jon :

ok. and there is water in the tub now? does it drain if you advance to a spin and drain cycle?

Customer:

it doesn't look like there's water in it but I can't open the door to make sure. It sounds like water is draining out through the hose. I don't know how to advance it to another cycle.

Jon :

ok. no worries.

Jon :

can you get to the drain hose and remove it from the stand pipe it flows into? I would like for you to check the flow of water coming out.

Jon :

and as far as for getting it to go to a drain cycle, on your timer or control there should be a separate drain and or spin cycle you can pause the machine then set it to the drain cycle?

Jon :

if not, then pause the current cycle then power off the machine. then set to a drain cycle and hit start and tell me if it drains?

Customer:

ok. i'll have to go do it and them come back to the computer. can't take it with me.

Jon :

for some reason when your machine gets to a drain or rinse cycle it is shorting out and getting stuck.

Jon :

we need to see if it is the drain or the motor and control board.

Jon :

ok. I'l be here.

Jon :

just check that and get back to me here.

Customer:

ok. thanks. i'll be back...

Jon :

ok

Customer:

this time when I turned it on, it unlocked the door. There's not water in the tub, just wet towels. I tried drain only but no water came out. It might have already drained it all before. I tried "rinse and spin" but it just kind of hums. No water goes in and the tub does not move. and no water comes out.

Jon :

ok. i thought that might happen.

Jon :

Lets try unplugging the washer for about ten minutes. this will reset the board.

Jon :

then plug it back in and start a new cycle. if water comes in then stops and the washer will not wash or spin the tub nor will it drain if advanced to a drain cycle then you need the motor control and motor assembly.

Jon :

It is the most common repair on this machine.

Jon :

how old is your washer?

Customer:

I think I got it in 2007. maybe 2006

Jon :

trying to determine if it is going to be worth it for you to repair or replace the washer

Jon :

ok so it is at its mid life. just paste if 2006.

Jon :

try the reset and unplug it for ten minutes. then try the washer again like i explain above.

Jon :

if it doesnt work for you you will need the motor and motor control board. and if that is the case, I would just buy another whirlpool washer. a top loader for about $400-$500. The board and motor for this machine will cost you alone over $300.

Customer:

i unplugged it. how much does the motor control and motor assembly usually run?

Jon :

so on a washer more then 7 years old it is not worth it for you to repair. there will be ther problems with it. Unfortuantely.

Jon :

I see this often. at least twice a month.

Jon :

I would hate to see you spend over $300 to repair this one now only to have another expensive repair in a year or two.

Jon :

More then $300 for the motor and control.

Jon :

when the washer fails like this it will actually not do much but fill and that's it. the control board that controls the motor is shorting out and the motor as well. and it will not wash spin or drain.

Customer:

ok. I have a feeling it will not work because I had it unplugged for an hour before when I was trying to unclog the hoses and then it didn't work after that. Guess I will have to start shopping. You said to buy a top load. Are they better than front load?

Jon :

Maytag has an update on newer neptune models for this very problem. But the problem is that they will still charge you over $300 to replace the motor and control. they just recommend you replace those parts with the newer software to eliminate this from happening again in the future.

Jon :

oh. if you had it unplugged already for an hour, then yes, i agree, it will most likely not work. But give it a try and see what happens.

Jon :

and yes, i recommend a good whirlpool toploader.

Jon :

much more reliable then front loader. and cheaper too. you will actually get a better wash out of a top loader too.

Jon :

a good whirlpool top loader will cost you about $400-$500. may be even a little cheaper if there are sales.

Jon :

I would recommend going to www.whirlpool.com and checking some models out then going to the store to physically see them.

Jon :

Please get back to me here if you need any help on that and I will help more.

Customer:

ok. If I really want to stay with a front loader because of washing items like comforters, etc, do you still recommend Whirlpool?

Jon :

If you feel that I have helped to answer your questions please remember to rate my performance positively below this chat now with ok service or better rating. and if you have more questions after please come back to me here and I will continue helping you for no additional charge.

Jon :

yes, still recommend a whirlpool. if you want a front loader just look to see what they have and what you like. they have many model. the duets are quite nice and good machines as well.

Jon :

they will run about $800.

Customer:

ok. great. thanks for your help. have a good night. :)

Jon :

just please dont wash comforters that are too big to often in any front loader. That will definitely put a lot of stress on the washer and the motor. and cause other failures and parts to break prematurely.

Jon :

you are most welcome. glad I could help.

Jon :

have a good night as well.

Customer:

thanks.

Jon
Jon, Appliance Technician
Thank you for the positive rating and very generous bonus as well. It is greatly appreciated.

Please get back to me here if you have any other questions and I will help you more for no additional charge.

Thanks again.
Jon
Jon
Jon, Appliance Technician