Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Fridgidaire upright freezer alarm went off. freezer is still

cold...running but is stuggling to...
Fridgidaire upright freezer alarm went off. freezer is still cold...running but is stuggling to get cold enough to allow the alarm to shut-off..the freezer is very full.
9/9/2013
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So to know if there is a problem of something more than just having too much food inside the freezer, you'd need to remove everything out of the freezer and remove the lower back panel inside the freezer. Then you need to look at the silver coils and they should be lightly frosted from top to bottom with the fan running above them. If the fan isn't running then the fan would need to be replaced. If the coils are packed in frost, you'll need to thaw them out with a hair dryer and you have a bad defrost component that would need to be replaced. If the coils have some frost on bottom but not on top, then you would have a sealed system problem with the compressor running inefficiently for some reason or a freon leak---either way for this option you'd need a technician to look at the unit.

I feel the door was left slightly open for sevral hours....the inside temp seems to be getting cooler....if I let it run...will it clear out on its own? it's been about 20 hrs since the alarm went off.

yes, it will fix itself on it's own if the door was left open, but that could take days for all the frost that builds up in the vents behind the lower back panel inside the freezer to thaw out. So if you have a lot of food inside, it might be a good idea to remove that lower back panel if you can and thaw it out quicker with a hair dryer.
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Fan runs, No frost on coils.

Ok so that's a problem with the compressor or the start device on the compressor cutting out and not allowing he compressor to run. You can try to replace the start device on the side of te compressor where the wires attach, but other than that you'll need to call a technician out to look at the compressor and possibly replace it.

I don't hear the compressor run at all, although it blows "cool" air just not "cold"

It's definitely still a compressor related issue if the fan is running but the coils aren't frosted.
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc