How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tyler Z. Your Own Question
Tyler Z.
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Category: Appliance
Satisfied Customers: 79511
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Type Your Appliance Question Here...
Tyler Z. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a Kitchenaid gas range with a power burner (KGRA806PSS01).

This answer was rated:

I have a Kitchenaid gas range with a power burner (KGRA806PSS01). Few days ago, the control knob for the power burner stopped working. On the knob, there are Off, Lite, High, Med, Low positions. Also, there are three simmer levels there. When I turn the knob, it stops right before Lite position. I can smell the gas released when I do this. All 3 other control knobs and burners work fine. I did clean up dusts after removing the knob. What could be wrong with this?
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So you can not physically turn one of the burner knobs, is that right? Which burner is that?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I can turn the knob to "Lite" mark but it does not go past that point. It does turn back to Off position. So basically I can only move between Off and Lite. When I turn, I smell gas. This is for the burner that has Power Burner & Simmer modes.

OK so the only thing that would cause this problem is the gas valve itself, and you can't take the gave valve apart to see what is jamming inside without creating a gas leak, so the valve itself would need to be replaced. The gas valve is the part with the shaft that the knob slides onto.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is this easy to replace? Something that can be replaced by non-pro like myself? I know I have to turn the gas off, unplug the power source and remove the cook top. Is it easily reachable so that I can replace?

It's not easy to replace, and you'll need to shut the gas off as well as unplug the unit to replace the part. Once you remove the control panel, the part is easily reachable to replace the part however. It all depends on how handy you are and how comfortable you are in working on gas components, because you can create gas leaks if you don't know what you're doing.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am handy. As long as the part is easily reachable once I remove the control panel, I should be able to do it. What are the precautions I need to keep in mind to avoid gas leak?

They use all brass fittings and such, so just make sure you tighten down everything, but don't over tighten everything. The valve will have a rubber gasket to seal up to the manifold properly when you install the screw to hold it in place to the manifold.
Tyler Z. and other Appliance Specialists are ready to help you