Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I have a Kenmore frost free Upright Freezer model(NNN) NNN-NNNN

that's Not Cooling. It no...
I have a Kenmore frost free Upright Freezer model(NNN) NNN-NNNN that's Not Cooling. It no longer sucks tight after closing. The ice cream was soft yesterday and the freezer was 27 degrees this morning. I increased the thermostat to max around 8 am this morning and checked it when I got back at 4 pm and it was 23 degrees. I emptied the freezer of all the contents and remove the panel to check the coils on the inside and they did not have any ice build up. I did a continuity test on the thermostat when closed and open and it changed accordingly. The fan is running when I turn the thermostat on and stops when off.
9/9/2013
Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service.

I see there was no ice on the coils inside. Was any part of them lightly frosted?

Around back touch the compressor on the top, is that compressor too hot to hold your hand on? Is it vibrating lightly?

Thanks,
Barry

Barry,

Yes the compressor is too hot to touch and it is vibrating.

I did not notice any frosting, but I had it off for a while before I took the panel off to get to the coils.

I turned the freezer back on with out the panel in so I can see the coil. It is lightly frosted on the top left side about a foot now.

Thanks Ron let it go for about 30 minutes. Lets see how much it frosts.

Was the fan operating inside?

Barry

Yes, the fan is running.

Will a picture of the coil help?

I so I can take one an send a link.

Sure that will be fine Ron. Let the freezer run a bit though, at least 30 minutes. That way I get a look at what it is doing after it has run for a bit. If you need to you can save this page to your favorites.

Thanks,
Barry

ok. I took a picture to test my process an give you an initial look.

http://screencast.com/t/p6Sippb6v

Will take picture with link again in 24 minutes.

Thank you very much Ron, pictures are a huge help.

Barry

Here is the coil picture after about 40 minutes

http://screencast.com/t/PEG4cMmkBHp0

Here's a general picture of the bottom rear of the freezer

http://screencast.com/t/d661l4hJI

Let me know what else you need.

Give me a few minutes to look Ron.

Thanks,
Barry

ok, temperature is 45.9 degrees, down from around 53

That is a coolant leak, there is nothing else that leaves a frost pattern like that. The reason the frost pattern does not go throughout the entire coilset is because there is not enough coolant to frost the entire coilset as the compressor pushes it through. It will get somewhat cool but after that amount of time those coils should have been frosted from top to bottom.

That means you will have to call for a coolant leak repair and the following questions are the ones that you should ask before accepting an agreement for an appliance repair.

Do you have a license to recover freon? (They must be licensed its federal law) That way they just cannot come out without you knowing and charge you then leave because they do not have one.

What is the minimum you charge for a sealed system leak repair?

Please and lastly ask them to bring the tools needed to repair a leak. They may find the part of your unit that is leaking and be able to repair it that day, that could save a second trip charge. What some will do is tell you they have to bring the tools showing up without them and then charge twice for coming to your home twice, you want to try and avoid that.

This will give you some idea if you want to repair it or not.

If you have any questions at all about anything please ask me. If not then please leave a rating for me, a single rating is very important.

Thank you,
Barry

Barry,

Thanks for your diagnostic help.

Any guestimates on the repair costs for a sealed system leak?

Given this is a 10+ year old upright freezer, is it worth the investment?

Thanks,

You are very welcome Ron, thank you for the opportunity.

I would not repair it. Here a middle of the road price is $550. 10 years and that kind of investment in a repair just does not add up to what I consider a worthwhile investment.

I would recommend a new one just about like the one you have. Avoid the non frost free type unless it is a chest freezer then you would want a manual frost. But for an upright frost free is the way to go. Non digital controls just like you have are the most durable.

Thanks,
Barry
Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Barry G.
Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician