Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

Hi there, My GE top freezer refrigerator (Model # XXXXX)

Hi there,

My GE top freezer refrigerator (Model # XXXXX) is making an intermittent clicking noise inside the refrigerator compartment. I've located the sound origin to the "box" adjoining the temp control unit.

The clicking noise will happen for a minute or two and stop, then start again, etc. when the fridge is working to actively cool. Otherwise, the fridge is silent.

Any suggestions? Thanks!
Hello,My name is XXXXX XXXXX be helping you today. Give me a few minutes to pull up your model. thanks .Be right back.
this noise is in the fresh food section ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes, the main refrigerator section, if that's what you mean--not the freezer or by the ice maker. Just above the top shelf, next to (behind) the temp control knobs.

okay perfect, so whats going on is the defrost timer is clicking. Defrost Timer WR09X10041      Main Product Viewthats all thats up in the control panel that can make that noise the timer is like a clock and has a motor inside it. its easy to change and you can do that yourself, heres a link to order it, it just plugs in. defrost control just click that blue link. thanks and best wishes, Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Super, thanks. That makes sense from what I've read. Any tips to remove the cover? I didn't see any screw points, so it may be friction grip...

its actually pretty easy, remove the screw holding the control assembly up and the timer is number 648 on this diagram. like I said it just plugs in so no special wiring required. there are screws towards the back number 625.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Fantastic, thank you! Have a great day.