Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.
22302088

jennair microwave does not heat and emits a odor from vent

jennair microwave does not heat and emits a odor from vent when operating
Hello my name isXXXXX will be assisting you with this problem today. Thanks for trusting JA to help you with this appliance question.

The problem here is either going to be the magnetron, High voltage capacitor, High voltage diode or the door switch. This is not a good DIY fix because factory test equipment will be needed to accurately diagnose the problem plus the unit stores lethal voltage even when unplugged.

I recommend you take the unit down and take it to a experienced workshop to have it fixed. The cost would be anywhere between $150 - $250, Bearing in mind that most new units cost around $229 you may want to look for a new unit.

After the warning given if you decide you want to fix this yourself and have a multi-meter and amp meter I would be happy to assist you further :)

Please feel free to come back after rating me "ok service or above" or for any additional questions or assistance that may be needed.

Sometimes I will have to give bad news, Please try to find it in yourself to rate me for the service not the bad news.

Please also remember that if this repair is beyond your ability I have still done my job in answering - where the problem is.
Thanks!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

this unit is 6 yrs old, is a microwave/ convection oven combo, paid over $1000, for...I think it is worth repairing.....is stainless under counter, with lights and ductless exhaust fan, has a upper vent when using microwave it opens and exhausts....

Ok Jeff sounds like the high voltage diode is the problem since you mentioned the smell, I really would consider getting someone who has experience with these units to fix it, If the diode is bad we are likely talking around $125 to fix it.

The problem here as I mentioned is the unit still holds lethal voltage even when unplugged.

I would like to earn your highest rating, if you are not totally satisfied with my answer please hit the continue button.

If I have answered your questions to your satisfaction please feel free to come back at any time after rating me "Excellent service" for additional questions you may have at no further charge :)

Thanks!

Mike.