Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I have a Kenmoore Elite dryer Model# XXXXX that stopped

heating up last week. I...
I have a Kenmoore Elite dryer Model# XXXXX that stopped heating up last week. I replaced the thermal fuse and thermistor thinking that would fix my problem but it hasn't. Next I checked for continuity on the heater coil. My volt meter reads .006 and I get the beep for continuity so I don't think it's the coil. Do you have any suggestions on what else to check.
9/2/2013
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Hello,My name is XXXXX XXXXX be helping you today. Give me a few minutes to pull up your model. thanks .Be right back.
these have a heater relay in them have you checked the relay yet ?Relay(NNN) NNN-NNNNMain Product View also theres a thermistor. have you changed that ?

I've replaced the thermistor but haven't checked the heater relay. Where is it located and how would I check it?

the heater relay is mounted up in the control panel. heres a video on how to get to it. relay what you need to do is start the dryer and check for voltage at the relay remove on wire from the relay (large terminals) you should get 120 volts.

How are you wanting me to check it with the volt meter? I removed one of the wires from the large terminals touched that wire and the terminal I removed it from with my volt meter probes and got 49.2 volts. I want to make sure I'm checking at the correct points.

Okay one of the wires (large) comes off the timer. remove the other one that goes down to the heater.take your meter and go to ground with the black probe and then with the red touch the with the wire that comes from the timer. do you get 120 volts at that ? if so then try the empty terminal (the one you took the wire off) and see if your getting 120 volts on that side.if you don't but you do on the side from the timer the relay has failed.
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician

Bryan,

I've traced the large wires coming off the relay and neither of the two goes to the timer. They both appear to go down towards the heater.

okay when you take one of them off does either side have 120 volts?

Bryan,

Unfortunately I only know how to do some basic functions with my volt meter. I'm not sure how you want me to check the voltage. Where do you want me to place the red and black probes to check for the proper voltage?

okay lets go back and start new. you do know how to check voltage correct ? put the wires back on the relay. now with the dryer running there are two wires on the heater itself. take one probe and touch the heater wires. (you want to put one probe on each side) do you get 220 volts there ?

Bryan,

I can put one probe on the top small terminal another probe on a top big terminal and get 122 volts. Probe on small bottom terminal and big bottom terminal get 4.75 volts. Probe on small bottom terminal to big top terminal 122 volts. I can put probe on either small terminal and get 122 volts with the top big terminal. But when I probe either small terminal to the big bottom terminal I only get 4.75 volts.

I replaced the thermal fuse and the thermistor. But according to my continuity test on the old thermal fuse it was okay. And when I checked the old thermistor for ohms it was reading within specs. But I replaced both hoping it would solve my problem but it didn't.

this may take a few but give me a little time to find the wiring diagrams. they are hard to get. please stand by.

Will do Thanks for your help so far.

okay, be back soon.
I have researched this and your dryer unfortunately has the dryness control board that causes the issue your having.the one thing I haven't asked you and should have though is you have checked the power at the plug correct ? you are getting 220 volts to the dryer ?

Yes, power at the plug is 220v.

okay the dryness control board is the issue. you will need to replace it unfortunately. this is not a cheap item however. heres a link to the part. dryness control board this is what tells the heater to come on.

Is there any test I could perform to make sure this is the problem? I hate to order it and my dryer still not heat up. You have been very helpful and I'm not trying to second guess your opinion but I would like to know for sure.

Because this board is electronic no theres no test for that ,sorry. I did a lot of research on this model and the board is a big fault on these.many of techs have been scratching their heads and finely replacing the board fixed the issue. now the board is returnable to that site I gave you even if by chance it didn't work so order it there and your safe no matter what. From what I've read in the tech sheets that's the issue on yours though.

Bryan,

Thanks for your help I will get the part ordered.

your welcome, have a nice labor day ! thanks, Bryan
Bryan,

Installed the part that was recomended today. Unfortunately my dryer still want heat up. What else do I need to look at.
oh man really ? okay I hope you ordered it at the link I sent you, they'll take it back so return that. since its on the timer side that's missing power that's all that left. In would try that. theres nothing else on that end, the other end is the motor but thats not the side missing power. heres a link to that . timer sorry the board didn't do it, the timer is half the cost so thats good. let me know how it goes. thanks, Bryan
Bryan,

I will try the timer and see if that works. I did order from repair clinic so I'll return the board. The timer on the dryer is counting down to off I can hear it clicking if I turn it to time dry. Could it still be causing my problem?
okay well because it clicks doesn't mean it works, the contacts inside could be burnt. I'm glad you bought the board at repair clinic. let me know. thanks, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician