Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I have a Kenmore front loading washer, about 8 yrs old, that

has had what sounds like...
I have a Kenmore front loading washer, about 8 yrs old, that has had what sounds like occasional bearing noise lately during the spin cycle. Today during the final high speed spin there was a bang and the drum slowed right down. I think it broke something... could this be related to the bearings? When I turned the machine off the drum didn't seem to have a problem rotating back & forth very slowly for a while like it usually does at the end of a spin. If it is the drum bearings is it an expensive repair? -- if it is I'm wondering if I'd be better off getting a new washer.
9/1/2013
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So can do a quick check for me and can you open the door on your washer? Spin the basket inside the tub by hand and does it spin smoothly by hand or??

It rotates OK but seems stiffer than normal... some resistance there.

OK so that's a problem. It should have no resistance at all. So this is really a major issue and means that your bearing has went out. The entire rear outer tub as well as the inner basket would need to be replaced because the inner basket has the shaft attached to it that goes through the bearing and the shaft gets damaged when the bearing goes out. It's a $600+ repair so most times people will replace the washer rather than repair it, but that's completely up to you.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Thanks -- bad news but that's what I needed to know, especially at the start of a long weekend when nobody is available. There are some washers on sale at a brand name store till Sept 2nd that I was tempted to buy, so now that I know my washer is toast I'll go ahead. On-line reviews seem to indicate that Whirlpool is a good brand -- please give me a hint that I'm right... thanks!

I actually do not recommend Whirlpool, Kenmore (most, the ones made by Whirlpool), or Maytag at all right now. They are all made by Whirlpool. Their front load washers are having a lot of electrical issues and their high efficiency top load washers have the similar issues. I find that Samsung front load washers are probably the best on the market currently. Really the only issues I see with these units are drain pumps getting clogged with coins or something like that. Another good option would be an LG front load washer.

Thank-you Doc, I believe I came across some Samsung washers on sale as well -- also I read a Consumer's Report article on an LG washer that is their top-rated front loading washer, so I'll look into that as well. I've heard that Maytag is also bad -- no more lonely Maytag repairmen now since they started making them in China, which is probably where the other bad ones are made? I'm assuming your brand name recommendations apply to dishwashers as well... I have a 35 yr old Kenmore that's still ticking that I'll have to replace soon.

Actually brand names do not apply to dishwashers, but I would also stay away from Whirlpool, Kitchen Aid, and Maytag once again I'm afraid. I would look into Bosch and possibly Frigidaire for reliable model dishwashers.

Thank-you, you've been a big help. You get an A+. I'll complete your rating shortly... have a good weekend! I have some shopping to do.

You have a great weekend as well. Please try to enjoy the holiday!
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc