Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

water leaking from under fridge on occasion.

Answered in 1 minute by:
8/31/2013
Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician

Hello Terry my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service.

Open the freezer and look in the very bottom at the floor. Is there a thin sheet of ice in that floor?

Thank you,
Barry

no

Terry is this a side by side refrigerator and does your refrigerator have an ice maker?

Barry

this is a bottom freezer no ice maker or water supply

Terry look in the corners and all over the freezer floor. You cannot see a even a trace of ice anywhere?

Barry

A few drops of ice the size of a dime near the front edge of the freezer.

They in total cover a area of a tea cup.

There is a defrost cycle that melts the frost out of the freezer coils every 8 to 12 hours. It is common for the drain when it clogs to freeze over and send that water out of the freezer door. I am not so sure yours is clogged though it does not sound like enough ice to me present.

Try shining a light at the back lower section where the bottom intake vent is inside of the freezer and see if you can see ice there. If you do then stop and let me know.

If you do not then go around behind the refrigerator. Remove the lower cover there and examine the black tank and the lines going to it for ice or moisture. If you find that stop there and let me know.

If you see nothing there get a small cup of water. There is a tube coming from the freezer floor. Pour the water where that tube would dump water and watch. See if maybe there is a leak there. That is a place the water should not drain from it should stay right there and evaporate. Maybe there is a hole. Please take your time and let me know when you can.

Thanks,
Barry

Hi

After removing the lower back panel I can find some dust. the black container like the size of a large cantaloupe it is warm,there is a black open tube that goes into a triangle shaped tray is this were I should pour the small amount of water?

Yes pour some water in there and see if you can find that it is leaking Terry, you should not need much more than a cup.

Barry

Hi

I see the problem the containment tray has a poor factory repair it looks like some kind of shiny tape that is not sealed very well and the water is escaping into the lower tray and then out onto the floor.Can I use caulking to seal this?

Yes sir, you most certianly can use caulking. Anything that will seal against water and can stand getting warm.

I have to say Terry I was baffeled at first. I did not know for sure I was going to be able to help you find it even though I knew the cause. I am very glad you found it, and I want to thank you for the opportunity to help.

If you run across something later and need to ask please do. I always followup with my customers when they need more help even if it is a few weeks later please give me a yell.

Thank you,
Barry
Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Barry G.
Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician