Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Sear Kenmore dishwasher model 665.13749K603 purchased 11/2010

has been working fine since...
Sear Kenmore dishwasher model 665.13749K603 purchased 11/2010 has been working fine since installation. Ran cycle two days ago and worked fine. Tried to run it today and won't start. Light's won't come on, nothing! Checked breaker box and power is on to dishwasher, electrical outlet is hot. Any ideas?
8/28/2013
Jon
Jon, Appliance Technician

Jon :

Hello

Jon :

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an authorized Sears service technician and i can help you today.

Customer:

Hi Jon. Can you help?

Jon :

If you are certain the fuse is ok to the breaker in the main panel then you need to first make sure there is power coming into the main terminal box under the front kick plate of the dishwasher. do you know how to do this? or have you checked that already too/

Jon :

?

Jon :

if not, then flip the circuit off to the dish again then go back to the dishwasher and remove the screws from the bottom panel under the door.

Customer:

Will do, be right back.

Jon :

once you access the terminal box remove the screw holding the cover to the box on. then visually check the wire nuts and connections there.

Jon :

if any looked burnt or disconnected that is the issue and will need to be fixed first.

Jon :

if there appears to be no issue then we will work on the control board of the dishwasher in the top portion of the door. There is a fuse on the main control board that often shorts out and will cause the machine to go completely dead. And the fuse can be jumped out easily by pulling the wires off the fuse, again with power off to the machine, then fit in a metal paper clip to each wire. this will jump out the fuse. next power the dishwasher back on.

Customer:

Kick plate off, removing terminal box cover.

Jon :

if you have lights and power to the dishwasher then you have a blown fuse and can be easily and cheaply fixed.

Jon :

if power doesnt come back on with fuse jumped then you have a bad control baord.

Jon :

ok good.

Jon :

now do you see the small metal box usually on the right side of the front of the dishwasher?

Jon :

and the screw holding the cover on?.

Jon :

if you do, with power off to the machine, remove that screw and check the connections. this is the main terminal box to the dishwasher. where power comes in from house line.

Jon :

if the wires look good there put it back together and tell me.

Customer:

Wires in terminal box look okay.

Jon :

ok good.

Jon :

now put the box back together.

Jon :

with power off i want you to jump out the fuse on the control board.

Customer:

will check fuse, be right back

Jon :

give me one minute and i will pull up a video that will help you

Jon :

be right back.

Jon :

here is a good video showing you how to replace a thermal fuse of the dishwasher. now it may not be the same model dishwasher as yours but dont worry. almost all dishwashers use the same style fuses. they just might look a little different.

Jon :

the video will be good for showing you how to access and check the fuse.

Customer:

need link to video

Customer:

terminal box is put back together

Jon :

just click on the image below to view the video. and if you dint have a meter to check the fuse continuity, then just take a paper clip and remove the wires from the fuse and fit into the wires. this will jump out the fuse. next rest the wires in the plastic cover of the control panel. make sure it doesnt touch any metal or other wires then turn the dishwasher back on. if it comes on then you knwo the fuse is bad and needs to be replaced.

Jon :

above is the video. click on the bax to view.

Jon :

i will say that about 60% of the time when you have this issue, the fuse is the culprit. so please check it carefully or make sure that you jump it out safely and the right way.

Jon :

if you need any other help or have any other questions about jumping out the fuse please get back to me here first.

Jon :

i will get you the parts info now for the fuse and control board just so you have them.

Jon :

the fuse info is below

Jon :

and the control panel/ board parts info is below.

Customer:

fuse popped out when trying to remove wire, getting ready to jump it

Jon :

Please let me know what you find and if you need more help.

Jon :

ok. great. you work quickly. thank you for being patient and trying the steps

Jon :

we will know shortly if the fuse is the issue.

Customer:

dishwasher made a click noise when fuse jumped and power turned back on. How do I check if lid is not snapped shut?

Jon :

what do you mean snapped shut?

Jon :

when you were jumping the fuse the door was open yes?

Customer:

yes, door is open

Jon :

you should be able to just open and close the door. just need to pull on the inner portion of the door.

Jon :

ok. good if the door was opened then just close the door and the lock and latch will close. all you need to do is just pull on it to open again.

Jon :

if the door doesnt open then the latch is stuck closed. if it does open then you are fine. then just order the fuse and you should be good.

Jon :

like i said, 60% of the time it is the fuse. and good thing because there is about $125 price difference from fuse to control.

Jon :

you can fix this for under $30. nd quickly too.

Jon :

are you still there?

Customer:

closed door and turned power back on. Dishwasher made an electrical click noise when power turned back on; however, dishwasher still will not turn on with fuse jumped

Jon :

can you try it again and this time tell where the click has come from?

Customer:

will do

Customer:

be right back

Jon :

does it come from below the dishwasher or up near the control area?

Jon :

k

Customer:

clicking noise is coming from the same area on circuit board where fuse is located, not from below. Tried it several times and got the same click noise each time.

Jon :

ok. but the lights on the control do come on? and are you sure the wiring to the fuse and paperclip are not touching anything metal or each other? and you do have the door shut? if so, then you have a bad fuse and possibly the main control board as well.

Jon :

I would make sure the door is shut properly and that the fuse wiring and clip are not touching anything and try it again. if the clicking noise is still happening then you have a bad relay on the main control and that would need to be changed out.

Customer:

lights do not come on, never have. I taped paper clip with electrical tape, nothing touching metal.

Jon :

I thought you said above that after jumping out the fuse and reapplying power to the dishwasher that the lights came on and you now here a click? is that not the case? after jumping the fuse, no change from before. still no sign of life?

Jon :

and you have either end of the paperclip in the wires that would go on the fuse, correct?

Jon :

well here is what we know, if you jumped the fuse correctly and still get nothing and now here a click, then we are sure that you have a bad main control.

Customer:

Sorry for the confusion, lights do not come on, never have since we started. Paper clip is into fuse wires as you described.

Jon :

ok. with the fuse jumped out and power back on the dishwasher still doesnt run?

Customer:

no, does not run. lights do not come on, just get a click when power is turned back on in breaker box.

Jon :

ok. then you need the main board.

Customer:

dang, not what I wanted

Jon :

thought you might have gotten off easy here. sorry. but you need the main control board. that is what the problem is and is whats given you the clicking nosie too.

Jon :

how old is this dishwasher?

Jon :

depending on age, it may not be worth it for you to repair.

Customer:

purchased on 11/26/2010 - Black Friday sale!

Jon :

ah. nice. then replace the board.

Jon :

do you need any other help?

Customer:

ok, will do, thanks. No more help needed. Thank you.

Jon :

you are very welcome.

Jon :

please make sure that rate my performance positively below this chat now with ok service or better rating. And if you have more questions at a later time just come back to me here again and I will help you for no additional charge.

Jon :

Thanks again. and have a good night.

Customer:

Excellent service, thank you.

Jon
Jon, Appliance Technician
Thank you again for the positive rating. It is greatly appreciated.

Please get back to me here again if you have any other questions or concerns with this machine and I will help you more for no additional charge.
Jon
Jon
Jon, Appliance Technician