Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I have GE Profile PFS22 (bottom freezer). Replaced the main

control board due to warming...
I have GE Profile PFS22 (bottom freezer). Replaced the main control board due to warming temps in frig & freezer. I did not have a J1 jumper or capacitor (grn wire) to cut. Plugged in all jumpers and plugged in power. Compressor fan now works (yea!) but compressor will not turn on. I hear clicking at mother board. Do I have a bad board or bad compressor? What are the connectors on the side of the compressor? Do they need to be replaced. Thanks!
8/28/2013
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

How quickly do you hear the clicking? Is it once every few minutes? Or is it more like once a second?

1x ever couple of minutes. Before I replaced the board and after cleaning off the coils and plugging it, it was ever couple seconds.

So that clicking every couple of minutes means that your compressor is overloading and won't turn over. Unfortunately the compressor itself would need to be replaced for this problem, the control board is not the issue.

Darn! But thanks for the information.

Not a problem. But I'm really sorry to hear about the bad news on your refrigerator.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Before I followed your advice (to replace the compressor), I learned from add'l research that the compressor also has a

So yes, there is an overload relay on the side of the compressor that is part of the compressor. I was only trying to tell you that the control board itself is not the problem since that was your question. You asked if the control board was bad again. I was trying to tell you that your compressor is overloading and it has something to do with your compressor, not the control board.

No, you said, "Unfortunately the compressor itself would need to be replaced for this problem" (see above) and you never mentioned the less expensive relay that I could replace myself. I don't see how you can defend your earlier advice. I hope I get a refund for what I paid of that answer.

Again, the relay is part of the compressor itself. You can't even order the compressor without the relay coming with it. Can you replace the relay separately? yes. But I was primarily focusing on your original question of "do I have a bad board or a bad compressor" and I said the problem is not your control board, it's the compressor.

but, it's not the compressor! its the overload/relay which can be replace by a DYI and it's much less expensive than a compressor (that can't be replaced except by a repairman as it's a closed system. My point with you is that you should have suggested the overload/relay as something to check out and for that reason I am disappointed with your answer.

Honestly I can't read your mind and I hope you understand that. It sounded to me like you were just generically using "compressor" or "control board" as terms of what you needed to replace. You gave me an either/or option and so I narrowed it down to tell you it wasn't the control board it was a compressor issue.

ok... enough said. I appreciate that you tried and I hope others who read this know that it might not be a compressor. Check the overload relay as a possible solution.

OK well either way I'm glad it's up and running again.
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc