Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Why is the Maytag dishwasher leaving gritty residue?

Why is the Maytag dishwasher...

Why is the Maytag dishwasher leaving gritty residue on the inside of my glasses and cups? I am using Cascade powdered soap and no rinse agent.

8/26/2013
Kelly, Appliance Technician

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem.

May I please have your model number so I am able to provide you with accurate, model specific information?

There are several numbers on the tab inside the door. I'm not sure which one you need:

E71195 Type 777-0, MDB6701AWW3 and NY2221743

Thank you, ***** *****!

Let's start with the basics. Do you have hard water? Is the water getting hot? Is it leaving food particles or just a gritty substance?

No we do not have hard water. Things are hot when I open the dishwasher without the dry cycle. I assumed that neant the water was hot. There is mostly gritty substance with some tiny bits and flakes. No real lumps of any food.

That is very helpful, thank you.

If you look under the filter guard (number 2 in the diagram) at the filter (number 6), is the fine mesh screen clean on that filter assembly?

I have taken the "arm" that spins and shoots the water out, but cant figure out how to get #1 off. I have the screws out.

You should be able to see the mesh if you look under the inner edges of that top piece. Sorry I did not clarify that. That mesh screen is supposed to be white and should appear as mesh, not solid or "crunchy" if you feel it.

I can't see any mesh anywhere.

It is under that top piece, directly under the plastic "fins" that act as a coarse filter.

The picture below will help.
graphic

Thanks, ***** ***** now.

Great! Does it appear to be clean and soft and not plugged?

Some of it is clean, some of it is not. Looks like it is worse at the edges of it.

It is still soft

Okay, so that screen and the other areas inside the dishwasher are likely built up with "gunk" that is getting redistributed on your dishes. There is a very easy, inexpensive way to clean it that will likely restore cleaning to as it was when new. Start a cycle (no dishes) and allow the water to fill the tub.

Open the door and pour about 1/2 gallon of white distilled vinegar into the tub and allow it to sit overnight. The acetic acid in the vinegar will loosen the "gunk" and in the morning, you can cancel and drain that solution out. Then, start another cycle and after the tub fills, pour about 2 cups of vinegar in the tub again (to recirculate through the spray arms this time) and allow it to run the entire cycle. I believe this will remedy the issue you are having. Let me know how it goes!

Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification.

Kelly, Appliance Technician
Kelly, Appliance Technician