Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Samsung VRT washer shows DC error code

I have a samsung vrt...
I have a samsung vrt washer model 5451anw and just today the problems start.it gave me dc error code twice in same cycle.then after that the real fun began.once it got to the rinse and spin cycle it never fully finished.it got to 7 min left and added 20 more then the same thing.samsung was of no help at all and im at my wits end washing clothes for work for tomorrow and I cant finish doing so.this is like 3 hours of hassle
8/25/2013
Repairman1981
Repairman1981, Home Appliance Technician

Repairman1981 :

DC error is an unbalanced load .... so that alone could just be the load size, that being said the 7 turning into 20 mins is it trying to rebalance the load ......Those two things together I can only suggest that the shipping bolts weren't removed if it's never been used in this location and is new, or your using it very wrong

Repairman1981 :

So lets start with the shipping issue since you say just today the problems start. This is the only times it's been used in this location since new correct?

Repairman1981 :

If the shipping bolts were removed, and the machine is leveled properly .... the only thing left is loading .... can you describe the load that is doing this to you?

Customer:

No its been used about 10 times by myself,i picked it up used from a moving sale and literally did a load of laundry at the guys house to make sure it did work with no leaks or other issues and it did.wha

Repairman1981 :

If it worked fine 10 loads then either something has broken or the clothes your using in it are "unbalancable" that is possible. The VRT technology in a Samsung is good and bad. The good is it reduces a lot of vibration that other machines just let occur. The bad is that if it's an unbalancable load it won't beat itself to death trying to rebalance. It will add 3 rinses (that is the 7-20 mins thing) and then error out with the DC code. Your welcome to restart a spin cycle, but it will just do the same thing unless the load is changed

Customer:

Its been used about 10 or less times by me.i picked it up at a moving sale and literally did a load of laundry to make sure it worked ok and it did.what troubles me is I dropped the load to about 7 items, 1 pants, 1 shorts and few t shirts and it did the same thing.im not sure about shipping bolts or what they are or how im misusing the machine.i had 3 towels 2 pants 2 shorts some t shirts and undies.i do believe my gf overloaded it and I cut it into 3 seperate loads only to have same result

Repairman1981 :

This can occur with too much or too little clothes. To rule out a machine problem, run it empty, if it finishes with no issues ... the machine is fine

Repairman1981 :

The rule of thumb I use is to load it from 1/4 to 3/4 of the tub ... not pressed in and then when it gets wet that's about right. However something like shoes or a dog bed/pillow .... just won't balance.

Repairman1981 :

That coupled with the correct HE soap will usually do the trick. Grab the front right corner and back left or vice verca and see if it has any movement if you try to "teeter it"

Repairman1981 :

Could just be a foot out of level since it wasn't a professional that delivered it

Customer:

I just started a cycle with nothing in it.ill see what happens

Repairman1981 :

Lemme know if it errors out. If it runs fine your using either too many or too few clothes ... both will cause balancing issues

Customer:

I shall its got 27 min left.

Repairman1981 :

k please don't respond till it's through or erroring out ...the chat keeps beeping at me to respond. Thanks!

Customer:

If machine is out of level wouldnt it be obvious? I can press down and I have no wobble or anything on any corners or side?

Repairman1981 :

Well when it spins I have seen machines that you put your finger by the feet and you can feel just a little bounce ... also I have seen floors that can't handle the load (typically you can feel the vibration in your feet 4 feet or more away from the machine)

Customer:

I did the finger test when I put it in and adjusted feet properly.i cant feel any wobble on floor

Repairman1981 :

then it isn't a balancing issue. it's just a load or a sensor.

Customer:

Ok machine finished cycle with no issues so it mustve been the load.i swear 4 year old samsung front loader I had at my ex wifes house never had an issue, oh well.thank u for the help.hopefully there isnt a deep seeded issue

Repairman1981
Just report back if the machine acts up, but ALL front loaders have this issue on load size. The older ones would just beat theirselves to death. So some semi balancable loads would still finish no issue, and others the machine would walk and knock pictures off the wall. Customers complained so companies come up with stuff like VRT, but it's not perfect. There is no way to override it though. As you use it more you will learn what works and what doesn't. Keep a few "balancing towels" close by for small loads and remove a few articles next time you get the DC if it's a too large issue.
Repairman1981
Repairman1981