Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I have a Maytag 850 electric dual oven. When setting the top

oven to say 400F, the...
I have a Maytag 850 electric dual oven. When setting the top oven to say 400F, the oven appears to function normally at the start, it starts preheating and the temperature indicated on the display reaches 400F.
However, a thermometer placed in the oven reads only 300F.
After a few minutes, the oven elements switch off, the oven beeps, and the word BAKE flashes on the display.

The lower oven works normally.
8/25/2013
Chas
Chas, Home Appliance Technician

Hello from our service,

My name is Chas, I am so happy to help you today.
Before we get started, I would like to help us get on the same page so that our interaction will go smoothly.
I might give you an answer immediately, or ask you a question. Either way, we are likely to be in a question and answer format, so you will need to click reply to expert if:
a. You want to add detail.
b. Your question was not fully answered.
c. You want to ask further questions.

Negative ratings do not cover site problems, delays, or anything else on the site that might annoy you, as experts are only involved in trying to answer your questions.

I would like to say that we are also on the honors system. I in good faith am going to do my utmost to ensure your satisfaction.

Does after the beep and Bake lights up, does it ever start heating up again or just shuts down.?

Just Shuts down

so you have to reset it and start it again and it shuts down again once it says 400 and beeps again?

The BAKE light keeps flashing. I can cancel this, choose Bake again, set the temp and the oven appears to think it is still hot, and the BAKE starts flashing again.

If I leave it to cool for a while, then I can start it again, select Bake and the temp and after a while the BAKE will flash and the readout be the set temp. even though it is low.

This all seems to have happened following a self clean cycle.

You have a bad controller, very expensive to repair, not hard to replace, you can click on the blue link below to order the correct part for your unit.

Click here for the correct part for your unit.

Repair Clinic offers a 365 day no question ask return policy, so if the repair does not work you can return the part to them for a full refund, yes this even includes electronic parts that many other part suppliers will not allow to be returned.

All I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. Click the continue conversation link if you would like to continue this conversation. If you are done and rate a 1 or 2 star please consider using the "continue conversation" link and telling me what more I can do or what more you would have liked that was within my power so that I possibly give you that information or help me improve my customer satisfaction rating. . .

Bonuses are welcome if I have helped you a lot, however they are not mandatory

OK - I think this is now the 4th control unit on this oven in 6 years. Not the most reliable oven! Thanks for your help.

Your welcome, I use to replace a lot of these on the Maytag Gemini ranges when I worked for Maytag, sorry about that...
Have a Nice Sunday.
Chas

Chas
Chas, Home Appliance Technician

For your information ...

Before installing a new control board since it is an expensive item, I replaced the temperature sensor (a lot cheaper and worth a try, I thought).

This appears to have solved the problem - the temperature in the oven is now close to that set and the BAKE light no longer flashes after the oven has been on for a while.

I think the control board is in fact fine.

But thanks for your help.

Whew!

George,
The probe should have thrown an error code up on the screen if it had a problem, I am glad that it is working though. I hope the problem does not return.

Right - the only reason I can think of is that the probe was partially working in that a temperature was showing on the display - but not the right temperature.

Could this satisfy the controller such that no error code was displayed?

I hate to say I am skeptical on it, did you ohm out the old probe and see what the readings were at room temp?

Well, no - but I can - its 1110 ohms - just over 1k

Then the old probe was good, that is what it should be, maybe you just had a loose connection where it plugged into.

Yes, maybe. Considering that this all occurred after a clean cycle, when presumably things were quite hot, maybe there was some poor connection.

Anyway, we will see how things progress.

Thanks for your help.

No problem, Have a great week!!!!
Chas
Chas
Chas, Home Appliance Technician