Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I have a Viking refrigerator the model is DFSB483, the refrigerator

section is not getting cold...
I have a Viking refrigerator the model is DFSB483, the refrigerator section is not getting cold enough. there is a ice in the bottom shelf of the freezer section
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/24/2013
Jon
Jon, Appliance Technician

Jon :

Hello

Jon :

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an authorized Viking service tech and I can help you today.

Jon :

The ice that is on the bottom section of the freezer, is it on the bottom section of the freezer door? Or is it on the back wall of the freezer on the inside?

Jon :

If you are seeing the ice on the back wall of the freezer then the ref is not defrosting properly and that is the reason why the ref section is not cooling as well.

Jon :

If there is frost and ice on the door, then the door may have been left open for a while or is not fully closing and the door gasket may not be fully sealing against the ref. And warm air will come into the freezer and cause the frost on the door and cause the ref to constantly run. Which after a few days will give you too much frost in the back of the freezer which later will give you poor temp in the ref section.

Jon :

If at all possible, the easiest way to solve both problems is to unplug and turn off the ref for 3 days and let it properly defrost. This will get rid of all the ice, not just on the cover in the freezer, but all the ice behind it on the evaporator. After the ref is totally defrosted after waiting three days you can turn the ref back on again and set it like you normally would.

Jon :

and if the problem comes back, and you are sure you hadn't left any doors open, then you have a defrost failure and I recommend replacing the thermostat and main board up top.

Jon :

if the problem doesn't come back after about a week or so then you should be good and just needed to defrost the ref.

Jon :

Now, I know that sometimes it is not possible to just turn the ref off for three days, especially if you dont have another freezer or ref for you to through all your food into, so just remove the food from the freezer section and the baskets and defrost manually with a hair dryer.

Jon :

After removing the food and baskets from the freezer try to remove the back liner of the inside of the freezer. There will be several screws holding it on. After the panel is removed you will see the evaporator, the part that freezes over and gives you the cold in a ref. Take a hair dryer and defrost all the ice built up on the evaporator coils until none left. Put a towel or two down to catch the water as it defrosts. Then after all defrosted put everything back together and let the machine run as normal.

Jon :

And again, if the frost and ice comes back then you will need to change the defrost components in your ref as for it is not defrosting and causing the whole issue.

Jon :

Please review what I have written and get back to me here if you ahve any questions and I will help you more.

Jon :

If you feel that I have helped to answer your questions please remember to positively rate my performance with ok service or better rating below this chat now. And if you have more questions after rating me please feel free to come back to me here at any time and I will continue helping you for no additional charge.

Jon :

Thanks.

Customer:

The ice is on the back wall of the freezer inside. it's been two days since I switched off the refrigerator.

Customer:

How do I know that all the ice on the freezer is melted?

When i restart the refrigerator what setting I should keep? medium cool or low or max?

Two years back I had the same issue , the authorized dealer came and replaced the defroster and spent $800 for that service

Customer:

After I restart the fridge I will let you know if the issue is resolved

Customer:

Thanks for your feedback on this issue

Jon :

Thank you for the return response. Sorry for the delay.

Jon :

you will not know all the ice is melted off the evap until you pull the cover off to check or if you let the machine run and the same issue comes back in a week.

Jon :

When you restart the ref you should keep the ref and freezer sections on four to five bars. Which will usually equal 37-40 degrees in the ref cabinet. And 0 degrees in the freezer cabinet. In sense of medium cool, low or max it is going to be right in the middle. just a little more then medium cool.

Jon :

If you had this same issue a few years back it is a common one so don't feel like there is something wrong with your machine. It happens often actually. not that you will need to keep spending hundreds of dollars to fix. You just need to make sure the ref is set correctly as I explain above and make sure the doors are fulling closing.

Jon :

as long as all of that is good you shouldnt have any other issues.

Jon :

Please feel free to get back to me here if you do or if you need any other help or have any other questions.

Customer:

Hi Jon

Customer:

sorry for the delay. I restarted the refrigerator after 3 days and kept the freezer and refrigerator temperature to five bars.

Customer:

The freezer temperature reached 0 degrees the next day morning, but the refrigerator didn't go beyond 46 degrees

Customer:

so I increased the refrigerator temp to 7 bars , after that it went to 40 degrees , but over the day due the frequent opening and closing the temp get increased and it osculate between 44 - 46 degrees

Customer:

ice didn't form in the freezer,but if I open the freezer door too much cold air comes out

Customer:

looks like the defrost component is not working properly

Customer:

can I change the defrost component myself

Customer:

If yes, where do I get it and how much it would cost?

Customer:

Thanks

prabu

Jon :

Okay that is good that the freezer temp got down to 0. But if the ref temp cant get past or lower then 46 degrees then I would like for you to look and listen for the freezer evaporator fan motor. There is a fan in the freezer section that blows cold air being made from the freezer to the ref section and if that fan is not blowing the cold air to the ref section it will not get cold enough as it should.

Jon :

so please open the freezer door and push the door switch in and listen for the freezer fan. If it is running and still the ref temp only goes lower then 40 degrees when the temp is turned all the way up then we will need to look at the evaporator and the frost pattern on it.

Jon :

Please check the freezer fan and get back to me here and I will help you more.

Jon :

Thanks

Customer:

I checked the freezer fan , the fan is running when the door is open and closed.

I open the freezer door without pressing the small black knob in the bottom , still the fan is running. when I pressed the small black knob the the lights went off and the fan is still running.

Customer:

Everyday I check the refrigerator temperature early in the morning,because it had time to cool over night , yesterday the temp was 41 and today it's 44

Customer:

I also noticed small amount of ice is on the back wall of the freezer inside , I used the dryer to clear the ice

Customer:

Let me know what you think ,how to proceed further

Jon :

okay. thank you for that info.

Jon :

if the fan is running in the freezer section that is good. that is what it is supposed to do. and when you are pushing in the door switch in, the lights will go off as well. that is all good.

Jon :

but the ice that you see building up on the back of the freezer wall is no good. That means there is a defrost issue. And that if the ref can't properly defrost then the ice builds up on the evaporator in the freezer then that chokes off the cold air from getting to the ref cabinet.

Jon :

as for right now the temps being 41 and 44 in the ref cabinet are not that far off from what they should be at. Recommended temp for the ref section is 37-40 degrees. but please also keep in mind that the temp will fluctuate about 5-7 degrees about 4-5 times a day.

Jon :

so seeing a temp of 44 degrees is not that warm of a temp. just make sure that it doesn't stay that warm the whole day.

Jon :

now, to fix the freezer and the ice building up on the back wall of the freezer, you are correct. just defrost it on your own with the hair dryer. to do so, remove all the food in the freezer section and remove the back inner cover to the freezer. this will expose the evaporator coils that have the frost on them. Take the hair dryer and defrost all the ice. actually before you do so, please tell me the frost pattern that you see on the evaporator coils?

Jon :

does it look like there is an even coating of ice over all the coils? or does it look like there is one spot of the evaporator that has way more ice then the other parts of the evaporator?

Jon :

if the frost pattern is even and completely over all the evaporator then that is ok. it just needs to be defrosted properly.

Jon :

again, take the hair dryer and fan the hot air over the whole evaporator. It can take about an hour to do this depending on how much ice is back there. But once all the frost is off then put everything back together and put your food back and set the ref temp just slightly higher then recommended setting and let it run that way for two days.

Jon :

get back to me here if the temps dont get any better for if they dont we will need to look at the defrost components a little better. but i will tell you this, with a defrost issue like you are having now, it usually just needs to be deforsted.

Jon :

please get back to me here again if you need more help or have more questions and I will help you more.

Jon :

And please remember to positively rate my performance below this chat now if you feel that I have helped to answer your questions. And if you have more questions at a later time please feel free to get back to me here and ask any other questions you need to. I will answer them and help you more for no additional charge.

Jon :

thanks

Jon
Jon, Appliance Technician
Prabu,

Thank you for the positive rating. It is greatly appreciated.

Please feel free to get back to me here at any time if you have any other questions or concerns with this machine and I will help you more for no additional charge.

Thanks again.

Please get back to me here if you need any other help or have any other questions and I will help you more for no additional charge.

Thanks again.
Jon
Jon
Jon, Appliance Technician