Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

no spin no wash just humming sound and electrical smell

Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Do you have a model number so that I can better assist you?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

kitchenAid superba wisper quiet

Do you actually have the actual model number? It should be located on a sticker or badge below the lid down near the hinges.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

stock aw850g

kaws850gq1

Does your washer still drain even though it's not spinning?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no drain

OK so it sounds like your motor is jammed or has failed. You'll need to take the washer apart and remove the pump mounted to the front of the motor to check for a blockage in the pump which will jam the motor. Remove any blockage you see and make sure to drain out as much water as you can manually as well as unplug the washer before removing the pump because all the water in the tub will come flooding out when you remove the pump. Below is a video that shows you how to remove the pump.

CLICK HERE

Now if you remove the pump and you find nothing, make sure the wires are all secure to the pump and if everything is secure but the motor just won't run, you need to replace the motor.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok, done I can rotate de motor with my fingers, is it the pump that keeps the motor from working

That depends on if it will run without the pump attached. You can try to run it without the pump connected (lid switch much be connected). And if it runs without the pump, then you need a new pump or need to remove whatever is jamming the pump. If it still wont' turn, you need a new motor.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

what ever is to be replace do you have any idea of the cost of the motor and how to replace it. I am presently empting the tub.

The motor is about $250-300 so it may not be worth replacing, but the part number is XXXXX if you wanted to replace it. And replacing the motor is basically the exact same process as removing the drain pump. Once you remove the drain pump, remove the 2 clamps holding the motor on to remove the motor for replacement.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

once the motor removed is the any way I can test it. I can rotate the pump by hand so I asume it's the motor.

Not really unfortunately. There is no way to know for 100% sure that the motor is good.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry I dont understand your answer. my question is can I test the motor once it is removed from the washer.

No you can't. It's humming so it's getting power, and it's not rotating so it's bad.