Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My refrigerator is Model FSC23LR5JM1. It started to make a

My refrigerator is Model FSC23LR5JM1. It started to make a noise in the freezer. I removed all the food and the 2 rear panels. There was ice forming on the little fan above the defrost heater that the fan blades was contacting and making the noise. I removed the fan and removed all the ice and reinstalled. What is causing ice build up there?
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Was the ice forming solid clear ice or was it white frost? And was it all over the silver coils or just below the fan blade?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Just a clear block of ice and it was forming on the black fan shroud and would contact the fan blades as it grew.

OK so this ice really only builds up for two reasons. One reason is that the icemaker fill tube is dripping out the joints or something to that effect at the top of freezer and landing on the fan shroud. Check for signs of ice dripping from the fill tube. If that isn't the case, then your defrost system is likely staying on too long and heating up more than it should causing the area above the fan to heat up too much and drip down causing ice build up over time. You'd need to replace the defrost thermostat to fix this problem because it's not cutting the heater off quick enough. The defrost thermostat is the 1" round device with 2 wires going to it clipped onto the top of the silver evaporator coils below the fan.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!