Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I have a Maytag refrigerator with the freezer in the bottom

(large drawer). The freezer is...
I have a Maytag refrigerator with the freezer in the bottom (large drawer). The freezer is too cold and the refrigerator is too warm. The controls are digital type both found in the refrigerator section. Model # XXXXX
8/22/2013
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Hello,My name is XXXXX XXXXX be helping you today. Give me a few minutes to pull up your model. thanks .Be right back.
okay open the freezer and tell me if theres any frost on the back wall. also is the fan in the freezer running ?

There is some frost on the back wall and the little bit of the coils that I can see are iced up. The fan is running. My ice cream is hard as granite.

okay what you have going on is a defrost issue. this will cause no airflow to the fresh food section. (all the cold air comes from the freezer) So now the hard part. you will need to remove that panel that covers the coils and defrost all the coils with a hair dryer to start with. can you do that? its difficult in the bottom freezers.

I did the hair dryer thing yesterday without removing the back panel, waited a while and then started it back up. It worked alright for a while then started to freeze up real cold again. The warming of the refrigerator section just started yesterday.

Okay well you really need to remove the panel and defrost all the coils totally, doing it with the panel in doesn't get the ice and frost deep in the coils defrosted. Now most likely the defrost thermostat is bad but you need to get behind that panel to test it anyway. Defrost Thermostat 67003426 Main Product View

I have to get all the food out of both the refrigerator and freezer, remove the freezer door, the icemaker and the panel to defrost the coils. This should take 45 minutes to an hour. Will this chat session stay open that long? If not how do I get back in touch with you?

yes this will stay open as long as you need me. just let me know when your ready to test .

OK. I'll be back with you in about 45 minutes to an hour. Do I need a meter to test the thermostat?

yes you will need a meter. just come back when your ready, no rush, I'll be here

I have defrosted the coils and have access to the defrost thermostat. It looks like one wire goes to the coils and the other wire is in a gang plug that goes up to the refrigerator. I have an old Simpson 260 analog meter. Can we work with that?

sure you can. how much frost was on the coils ? was it really clogged ?

Yeah, pretty clogged and also some on the outside of the panel a little and even a little on the freezer door.

Okay what you need to do is follow this video and test the thermostat. click the blue link and then see help video. Video if the thermostat fails the test you can order it right there. let me know.
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician

Bryan: I lost touch with you earlier. I waatched the video and put the defrost thermometer in ice water and checked the resistance. It was 5 ohms. Is is good or bad?

did you test it cold ? if so its seems like its good. can you test the heating element next ? basically the same way only it doesn't have to be cold. video

I tested the heating element and the meter went right to zero, so the heating element must be good. When I tested the defrost thermometer it tested at 5 ohms warm and still 5 ohms iced down and cold. I just tested it again and the same thing, 5 ohms hot or cold.

okay, I see, It seems the thermostat is bad sorry. that's actually a good thing because its the cheapest part to replace. you can order it at that link where the video is. also put the refrigerator back together until the part comes it and it will run correctly for about 2-3 weeks plenty of time to get the part. good job, thanks and best wishes, Bryan

Thanks Bryan

your welcome. thank you, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician