Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

refridgerator is warm and the freezer is cold

Answered in 1 minute by:
8/18/2013
Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service.

Is the frost only isolated to the rear inside freezer wall?

Thanks,
Barry

Depending on the duration of how long we let it go, the frost starts to accumulate on the vents inside the freezer. It accumulates until they are blocked, and then it begins to accumulate on the rear wall of the freezer.

We are defrosting the freezer every 8 to 9 days right now.

GIve me a few minutes Brad there is a programming code I need to look up.

Barry

No problem. Thanks.

The forced defrost function is performed using the Freezer display and Refrigerator keypad. Enter
the Forced Defrost Mode by performing the following sequence of events:
1. Open the Fresh Food door and press and hold the Door Alarm Keypad.
2. Press and hold Refrigerator Temperature Down Keypad.
3. Release the Door Alarm Keypad and wait 3 seconds. Fd appears in left display.

4. Press the Refrigerator Down Keypad again. SH appears in right display.
5. Press the Refrigerator Down Keypad again to force defrost. Fd and SH will flash in the display
indicating that the unit is in defrost.

Wait 5 minutes and listen inside the freezer as close as you can to the rear wall. Can you hear a sizzle and a pop every now and then?

Thanks,
Barry

Your looking at the wrong model. this unit does not have a keypad. The only controls are rotation knobs that increase/decrease the temprature in the fridge and freezer.

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-model/Kitchenaid-Parts/Refrigerator-Parts/Model-KBRA20ELSS00/0593/0161000

this is a diagram of the item on sears

Remove the freezer control knob, it should pull straight down. Under that knob can you see a dime sized hole there with a circular part up inside of the hole?

Barry

pulled the knob down and there is a dime sized hole and I can see a part inside. There are release tabs that allow me to pull down and see inside. Pictures are attached.

Chas
Chas, Home Appliance Technician

Hello from our service,

My name is Chas, I am so happy to help you today.
Before we get started, I would like to help us get on the same page so that our interaction will go smoothly.
I might give you an answer immediately, or ask you a question. Either way, we are likely to be in a question and answer format, so you will need to click reply to expert if:
a. You want to add detail.
b. Your question was not fully answered.
c. You want to ask further questions.

Negative ratings do not cover site problems, delays, or anything else on the site that might annoy you, as experts are only involved in trying to answer your questions.

I would like to say that we are also on the honors system. I in good faith am going to do my utmost to ensure your satisfaction.

You removed the one in the freezer, Barry was talking about inside the fresh food section..

What is the fresh food section; the refrigerator?

yes

OK. I have removed the knob. here is what I see

Just behind where you removed the knob, is there another hole with something in it?

The picture that I sent is what is there. That is where the knob is removed.

you removed item 7 and there is item 6 in the diagram below, with item 24 above it, that is what we are looking for item 24

//f01.justanswer.com/ref/http_c.searspartsdirect.com/lis_png/PLDM/W0319064-00003.png

If I understand you correctly, I will need to remove Item 5 and 2 in order to gain access to item 24. Is that what you want me to do?

5 has to come off but number 2 should be able to stay, you should be able to see the hole then

Here is what I see.

okay take number 2 off, your model does not have that hole there

I took it off. But I would like to know what we are looking for here. Especially since the freezer is where the vents are frosting over.

You are not getting a defrost, so the vents are freezing over, we need to put it into manual defrost and if that does not work, then we will need to replace the thermostat inside the back wall of the freezer..

I may not have mentioned that this is an ongoing problem. Meaning that we are defrosting the freezer every 8-9 days. So we dont need a single defrost, there is a larger problem.

You should have a defrost every 12 hours for about 30 minutes, we want to advance the defrost timer to the point where the machine shuts down, then see if the back wall of the freezer starts to warm up, if not then we know that the problem is the thermostat, if it does heat up then we know that the timer motor for defrost has failed and will need replaced.

Ok. How about this. Is it a problem to replace both? THey are not expensive parts. I think together at Repair Clinic.com they would come to a total of $80.

Personally I believe the problem is the defrost thermostat, however I did want to check all possibilities, you can click on the link below for the correct part for the thermostat

Click here for the correct part for your unit.

ANd for the timer

Repair Clinic offers a 365 day no question ask return policy, so if the repair does not work you can return the part to them for a full refund, yes this even includes electronic parts that many other part suppliers will not allow to be returned.

All I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. Click the continue conversation link if you would like to continue this conversation. If you are done and rate a 1 or 2 star please consider using the "continue conversation" link and telling me what more I can do or what more you would have liked that was within my power so that I possibly give you that information or help me improve my customer satisfaction rating. . .

Bonuses are welcome if I have helped you a lot, however they are not mandatory

Chas
Chas, Home Appliance Technician

Do you have a how to to replace both units that i can refer to when I receive them?

The defrost timer you are almost there already, once you drop the panel where the timer is, it is only held in with 2 screws and a plug in jack, as for the defrost thermostat, you have to remove the back wall of the freezer, it should only have 4 screws that hold it in, and the thermostat that is in there is cut out and the new one spliced into it..

It takes all of 30 minutes to replace the defrost thermostat from start to finish..

Chas
Chas
Chas, Home Appliance Technician