Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Kitchenaid refrigerator model #KFIS20XVMS2 HAS A KEY THAT DOES

NOT RESPOND. PE0 AND...
Kitchenaid refrigerator model #KFIS20XVMS2 HAS A KEY THAT DOES NOT RESPOND. PE0 AND 00 is on the display.
8/18/2013
Appl-Tech
Appl-Tech, Service Technician

Appl-Tech :

Hello, thanks for letting us answer your questions. We appreciate your business!

Appl-Tech :

When you replace the control board you have to reprogram the control.
Have you attempted to re program it?

Appl-Tech :

Did the control board come with an instruction sheet?

Customer:

no

Appl-Tech :

OK, let me copy the instructions and you can try to get the new control programmed
Give me a minute or two

Appl-Tech :

I am going to set up a link for the service manual for you. It will be easier than trying to explain to you how to do it.
Would you like me to do that? All I ask is that you rate my help as positive for JA for my time to set up up for you.
It will cover all aspects of repairing your machine.

Customer:

Keyboard does respond. the display is PEO and OOO.

Appl-Tech :

That is the default display before the unit is programmed

Customer:

Please set up a link for the service manual for me. Thank You.

Appl-Tech :

http://www.mediafire.com/view/?a344cuno4aq4iv0
click on link and you will see what I mean

Appl-Tech :

That is a snippet from the manual

Appl-Tech :

Manual

Appl-Tech :

When you get it downloaded go to page #3 and follow he direction for programing

Appl-Tech :

Please don't forget to rate my help and time to you tonight as positive for JA.
Thanks for the opportunity to help you out and feel free to ask any follow up questions if you need after rating my help to you.

Customer:

There is not a door alarm key that I can see.

Appl-Tech :

let me look, some of the control displays were changed from one line to the other

Appl-Tech :

does your control panel look like the illustration in the manual other than the names on the keypad?

Customer:

no

Appl-Tech :

You machine does have the icemaker in the upper left side in the food section, correct?

Customer:

yes

Appl-Tech :

OK, I am setting up a download for the tech sheet for your model. It is not as detailed as the manual I sent you but it does give us the needed info.

Appl-Tech :

Follow the programming mode instructions

Appl-Tech :

I didnt realize that KitchenAid changed the layout on the control

Appl-Tech :

Remember you have to take the number for the code off the model label on the wall of the food section.

Customer:

Nothing responds.

Appl-Tech :

Does the tech sheet match your controls?

Customer:

There is not a LL keypad.

Appl-Tech :

Remove the grill on the bottom under the freezer drawer. Feel up with your hand for a plastic bag attached to the bottom of the fridge. It should be right in the front behind the grill. You may have to cut the bag to remove the tech sheet.

Appl-Tech :

I am a bit confused as all the tech sheets I have checked say there is a LL key

Appl-Tech :

What labels on the keys do you have?

Customer:

water , dispence water, water, and light,

Appl-Tech :

were you able to find the tech sheet?

Customer:

There is not a tech sheet. There is a set of coils up front.

Appl-Tech :

OK, I think I see what is happening. Look at the tech sheet again.
Down on the lower left side of the page, you will see what they mean by the LL
Just above where you see 5/10

Appl-Tech :

Do you see it?

Appl-Tech :

They mean lower left key pad (LL) Upper Right keypad (UR) etc

Appl-Tech :

The tech sheet if glue to the underside of the fridge behind the front grill normally, unless someone removed it.

Appl-Tech :

I meant is glued

Appl-Tech :

do you have any buttons to the left and right of the display?

Customer:

Yes, two on the left and two on the right.

Appl-Tech :

ok, then just follow the directions on the tech sheet I gave you subbing the LL for the lower left key and the UR for the upper right key etc. for getting into the programming mode

Appl-Tech :

Do you understand what I mean?

Customer:

Yes, but do not get any respondance at all.

Appl-Tech :

You said you replaced the dispenser keyboard. Are you sure you got the cable plugged in properly?
You should get some response

Customer:

Yes

Appl-Tech :

So, if you follow these instructions, you get nothing??

1. Press and hold the WATER Keypad.
2. Press and hold LL Keypad.
3. Release the WATER Keypad and wait 3 seconds.

Appl-Tech :

Try unplugging the machine and then try the sequence after it is off for 1 min

Customer:

still no responce

Appl-Tech :

do any of the buttons work?
What label is the LL button?

Customer:

UR,LR, and Dispense Water buttons work.

Appl-Tech :

There has to be a problem with the interface. Either the board is defective or you don't have something hooked up correctly.

Appl-Tech :

did you replace the overlay

Customer:

Thanks for your time, I must go.

Appl-Tech :

I would order this part

W10180050

Appl-Tech :

It is the overlay with the ribbon cable attached. I think that is where your problem is.

Appl-Tech :

Once you get the button to function, you will be able to program the control and make it run

Customer:

I have replaced it with a new one.

Appl-Tech :

I would have to say that there is something wrong with the new part, unless you did not get the ribbon cable properly plugged into the board. I would double check it and if it looks OK replace the part

Appl-Tech :

WHat is the LL button labeled?

Customer:

It is not labeled.

Appl-Tech :

ok, I guess we are at a standstill,
My advice would be to double check you ribbon cable and if you are sure there is no issue, send the interface back and get it replaced.

Appl-Tech :

I cant think of anything else it can be.

Customer:

Thank You.

Appl-Tech :

you're welcome.
May I ask that you rate my help tonight as positive for JA
Feel free to come back and ask any other follow up question should you need to after you get the part
Thanks for the opportunity to help

Appl-Tech
Appl-Tech, Service Technician
Appl-Tech
Appl-Tech
Appl-Tech, Service Technician